Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,
has anyone tested the R9 270X in 10.8.5 (or even better on mavericks)?

Or should I just stick with the (originally planned) 7870 and don't risk anything?

I just bought mine, is sitting next to me as we speak, i will be installing it tonight, so i will keep you guys posted.

Yesterday i upgrades to Mavericks and my onboard card is not working only in safe mode, but i still have the 10.8.5 installed in a different HDD, so i will be testing both in case i don't manage to put it to work in Mavericks.

I just bought mine, is sitting next to me as we speak, i will be installing it tonight, so i will keep you guys posted.

Yesterday i upgrades to Mavericks and my onboard card is not working only in safe mode, but i still have the 10.8.5 installed in a different HDD, so i will be testing both in case i don't manage to put it to work in Mavericks.

Great......I wish you good luck with the new card :)
Which one did you get (Sapphire/MSI....)?

edit: do you mind sharing the rest of your config?

Great......I wish you good luck with the new card :)
Which one did you get (Sapphire/MSI....)?

edit: do you mind sharing the rest of your config?

Well bad news, not that the card doesn't work but i think i picked up a faulty piece so my motherboard burned :( luckily its under warranty but now i have no means of trying.

The card i got was a Gigabyte.

My specs are Gigabyte H77-DS3H, i5-3470, 16gb memory DDR3 1600mhz, msata SSD, triple HDD, and triple screen with a Imac 27.

Well bad news, not that the card doesn't work but i think i picked up a faulty piece so my motherboard burned :( luckily its under warranty but now i have no means of trying.

My specs are Gigabyte H77-DS3H, i5-3470, 16gb memory DDR3 1600mhz, msata SSD, triple HDD, and triple screen with a Imac 27.
Gigabyte model?

That's really bad news/luck :(
Do you have an idea why the board burned? Normally it shouldn't. ^^

Considering I want to put the card on a very similar board I better wait for it and don't risk my hardware :/

That's really bad news/luck :(
Do you have an idea why the board burned? Normally it shouldn't. ^^

Considering I want to put the card on a very similar board I better wait for it and don't risk my hardware :/

I'm sure it was not the graphic card because it was plugged but not connected to the PSU. So i think it was PSU giving too much power.

The GIgabyte model was GIGABYTE R927XOC-2GD

Just dropping in to say that the 280x works fine in OSX. It gets recognized as a 7xxx series card.

has anybody news about the 290X ?

Tahiti XTL - read last night they are going to quietly change the 280x GPU to the Tahiti XTL. Anyone know if this will make a difference??

I am building a new system. Not opposed to buying Nvidia but I just love AMD cards. My 5870 has treated me well.

Also saw that Nvidia dropped the prices on the gtx cards yesterday...

Id say now that the 7XXX series drivers are updated with Mountain Lion, and Ive had no problem with my 7970 in Mavericks that AMD's new cards should be a safe bet. I would even go so far to say (since everything I have read has indicated out of box success, and my 7970 worked without any alterations) its safe, and to get it, if thats what youd prefer. Just make sure there is a good return policy!That way the worst case scenario is you have to return your card if it doesn't work out of the box, or if you cant figure out a fix that your comfortable with.

I didnt have to do anything at all to my 7970 to get it running last week, and so far its sailing along smooth. Ive had no hiccups, and no sleep problems since I switched to Mavericks. Also since I switched to Mavericks I dont have to adjust the internal graphics. Although i'm not 100% that everyone is going to have the same luck with their 7XXX / R9 series cards, I am pretty confident that they are pretty much ready for purchase and install with Mavericks, and otherwise approved hardware. As long as you get a return warranty there is nothing more than a shipping charge to lose.

But now that Nvidia has lowered their prices significantly on their GTX 780/ 770, not to mention any additional discounts or game deals, its worth taking a second look at your options. The 780's performance compared to the 290X is close in alot of areas. But the 780 holds the additional benefit of a definite compatability, and a lower price.

Currently Im trying to decide whether I want to get a 770 or a 280X. I think that damn reference design on the 770 is undeniably incredible, and I love the certainty that comes with getting a hackintosh, but I also think I want to play with AMD's R9 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back