Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems hi-end AMD is as straightforward as hi-end nVidia, performs better (the 780ti is still unsupported and would only match with the 290X anyway) and costs a chunk less.

Should be in the next buyer's guide, I think...

R9 290 / R9 290x

Well, well, well. I can say one thing: R9 290 ROCKS! I mean... really, this thing is a BEAST! In Windows I can play Crysis 1 and 3 at ultra quality settings and is like... I don't know, hot knife through butter. And the noise ain't that bad, I used to have a Gainward GTX 260 GS that was always running loud and hot, up to 90 degrees (Celsius) so probably that's why there is no difference for me from a noise/heat point of view. The performance is phenomenal for $470 (Europe). A GTX780 (which the R9 290 beats in almost every game) is around $600 so it made no sense to buy it.

Coming to OSX support, I'm sorry to tell you guys that at the moment of writing this (15-Nov-13), there is no support for R9 290/290x. While the R9 270x and 280x are kind of re-branded 79** cards, the R9 290/290x are based on a new architecture. Unless Tony & Co. come up with some sort of workaround, until the Hawaii architecture is supported by Mavericks (if it will be) we're pretty much out of luck. I believe full resolution is possible with these cards but QE/CE remains unavailable for the moment.

Prove me wrong, but that's my experience so far.

NewImage.png

Apple has seeded the first beta of OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 to developers. (Source: macrumors.com)

The release asks testers to focus on Mail, Graphics Drivers and VoiceOver, though there are no known issues with the release.

----
Sounds promising!

subscribed, in progress of planning my new rig.

really interested in r9 290. the $400 price point is just a dealmaker for me.

I've just upgraded my R9 280x to the R9 290 and as stated earlier, there is no QE/CI support, but the card runs under OSX, so it's not that we can't use it, we just can't use it fully... yet, biggest issue is obviously lack of OpenGL.

I had to send my Asus R9 280x (which by the way was 100% compatible with Mavericks) back due to a faulty fan, and instead of the same Asus I went ahead and upgraded for my replacement card.

This card is silent unless you're gaming, when gaming it's loud and hot, and honestly I just don't care (headset and good ventilation ;))
Usually I'd wait for an Asus DCUII, but couldn't this time due to the RMA, worst case scenario I'll replace the cooler with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III.

Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 9.26.04 PM.jpg

Purchased ASUS R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 and it works fine on my primary monitor (1920x1080). I use GraphicsEnabler=No and have Chameleon/Extras on EFI partition with OSX 10.9 (GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 + i5-3570K).

It does not work with my second monitor. I've tried all sorts of different boot options, FBRotate, HDMI and DVI ports, and I get stuck at a white screen on both monitors when passing the Apple logo. When I'm at the white screen, if I unplug the monitor cable from second monitor (not the power cable), the white screen will disappear and the desktop will load on my primary, but then freezes.

The only way I can get both my monitors working is by using IGPEnabler=Yes with GraphicsEnabler=No and hooking my 2nd monitor up to the HD4000 and setting IGFX as first to initialize in BIOS. Maybe it is because my second monitor is 1280x1024, 4:3. But I don't have a 2nd 1920x1080, 16:9 to test. So I guess it is working OOB in single monitor mode, but dual monitor support may be sketchy for some. Especially if you have a mix of 4:3 and 16:9.

Both DVI ports work and HDMI works. Cannot test HDMI audio and cannot test DisplayPort.

EDIT: Found a workaround to get both monitors working from boot to desktop:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...ntoshes-further-explanation-8.html#post714084

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.2Ghz
Cooler Master 412S
Aus Z87M-Plus
Samsung 840Pro 128GB SSD
8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1866MHz CL9
MSI R9 280X 3GB OC
Tacens Valeo V 900W

Finally managed to finish dualbooting Windows 8.1 and Mac OSX Mavericks, without a problem.
The 280X worked out of the box, except I had to unplug and plug the monitor back in to see the instalation screen.

I use Graphics Enabler=Yes, and 1080p mode, along with the base boot options. I also had to patch the Bios, to make it work.

Aaaand, I had to install MacOSX on MBR partitions.

gdx7.jpg

Captura de pantalla 2013-11-18 a la(s) 15.58.13.jpg

so has anyone been successful with getting this card to boot correctly and correct two monitor setup, meaning I can boot if I have integrated graphics set first on my GA-Z68XP-UD3P, but if I set it to boot from the 280x I get an error. Also when booting from integrated graphics OSX will say I have two monitors. The first sourced from the integrated graphics, the second coming from the 280x. Problem is both of these connections go to the same monitor.

My current set up is as follows. The HDMI out on the mobo goes to my primary monitor. The First DVI on the 280x also goes to primary monitor. The DisplayPort on the 280x goes to the VGA on my secondary monitor via a dongle, but in OSX this secondary monitor is getting no signal. All cables and monitors are known working on my win7 install.

I also have a 6870 lying around that I know can work in the hackintosh, can this solve any issues for me?

System is:
GA-Z68XP-UD3P on F5 bios
i7 2600k
Gigabyte R9 280x
OSX Mavericks

Ideally I want to be able to boot from the card and maintain dual monitors. Also, I don't want to have to switch cables and mobo settings when switching back and forth between Win7 and OSX.

Thanks!

Hey Bioteq. Can I ask if you had to do anything special in your Chameleon plists etc to get it working under OSX? My Hackintosh boots and shows me the desktop and runs for about 10 seconds before freezing.

Setup:

i5-4670k @ 4.4GHz
Z87x-UD4h
2x Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
Seasonic-X 850Watt
Sapphire R9 290

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back