Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed w clover adding r9 280x asus oc 3g to my z77n-wifi itx rig. Luxmark sala ~ 23xx (with unibeast installed and bootloader to EFI, sala no good mark so decided to use Clover)

Hwmonitor is working but only GPU die temperature shown in hwmonitor. (w multibeast corr. plugin installed)

Looks like if there is another plugin for the graphics, more reading could be coming out e.g. fan speed. It's good to know the fan speed as after luxmark the gpu die temperature was very hot ~ 6x degree Celcius.

Tried search but looks like no such custom piece of good thing are around.

Hey you said that not every R9-280X works with Mac but mine is a XFX R9-280X so what should I do? Please help me as I cannot replace and get an Asus one! Thanks for your help!

Modding the chameleon boot loader and make it think it's a ASUS one or flash your card

Anyone with R9 290 or X can you try out whether or not during gaming it exhibit a graphical glitch such as city skylines or dota 2? Because my R9 290 have that kind of problem despite having install the right kext and full hardware acceleration. :)

My Hackintosh working with Asus R9 290 DirectCu II OC, Clover setup. Great Final Cut Pro and motion improvement over PNY GTX 660 Ti Enthusiast Edition.
BruceX test results http://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/

with GTX 660 Ti 95 sec
with R9 290 30 sec

OSX 10.10.1

Problems: only one display working, FXFactory crashes system, Davinci Resolve is slower.

If you edit film in FCP ja working with Motion it's great improvement.

Hey, since you're using R9 290 can you try out whether or not during gaming it exhibit a graphical glitch such as city skylines or dota 2? Because my R9 290 have that kind of problem despite having install the right kext and full hardware acceleration. :)

My experience was pretty easy. I installed the 280X from the beginning. I booted off the internal graphics to get to the BIOS, disabled the internal graphics card, switched the monitor to the 280X (DVI) and then worked completely from there. I installed using the 280x and went straight into the EFI partition at the end of the main install.

Hey rwillett

trying to address my question directly to you, since I bought my system more or less identically to yours based on your good experiences in this forum. After working a couple of months with the onboard GPU without any problems, I decided to buy the same GPU as you (mainly for FCP) and have an issue getting it work. I tried to simply plug it in, then disabeling the onboard GPU in BIOS and reboot. Bootloader works fine and I also get the loading screen with the apple logo, but in the middle of the loading bar the mturns black and switches off. I have the feeling that only a little thing is missing and before I start making big changes on an actually super stable system, maybe you have a hint?

I used the 10.10 clover guide with HD4600 config.plist, my first thought was to simply exchange this one with the "ATI" Version, however checking both config.plists in clover configurator, I dont see a big difference - will it still make sense?

Cheers
Cruchot

Ok, its a lot easier to start a new thread rather than hijack this one. I don't tend to follow threads with 20+ pages as they are unwieldy and unusuable. If you start a new thread other people can use it and help you. Cut and paste this lot to a new one and then you'll have your own thread to play with.

Anyway.

1. Here's my config.plist. I do not claim to know a great deal about the details inside the config.plist.

2. I haven't bothered checking it against another config.plist as this one works for me.

3. Are you connected to the right port on the GPU. I connect to the DVI port mainly but also use the display port for a second monitor. I could not get three monitors to work no matter what I did.

4. When you say "more or less" what is the "More or less"? Small differences might make a big difference.

Rob

View attachment config.plist

Hey Rob

Thank you for your quick answer, I will check your config against mine.

some other questions that came to my mind:

Do you use any other kext than ones proposed in the guide?

Did you press the blue "UEFI button" on your 280x? And what do your BIOS boot settings look like? Legacy and/or UEFI?

Thanks for your help
Cruchot

1. I installed as per the Clover installation guide on this forum.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

2. I set the system to use UEFI booting. I stopped it doing Legacy booting. This meant a reinstall of Windows as I never got it converted correctly from Legacy to UEFI.

3. I used the FakeSMC, Ethernet, NullCPUPowerManagement kexts as per the guide.

4. I removed VBoxHfs-64 and added HFSPlus.efi.

5. I did not add DSDT.aml or add SSDT.aml

6. I added the config.plist for GE=yes-ATI

That was it. I did play with altering the splash screen in Clover but it never worked for me.

I do not press the blue button on the the 280X cards.

Rob

Hey, since you're using R9 290 can you try out whether or not during gaming it exhibit a graphical glitch such as city skylines or dota 2? Because my R9 290 have that kind of problem despite having install the right kext and full hardware acceleration. :)

I don't have any game, only video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back