Contribute
Register

wfj's Temjin Build: MSI Z68MA-ED55(B3)/i5 2500K/XFX 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
rdsxe said:
wjf?thanks for the advice. Everything works?even the sleep works perfectly!

I really enjoy this quality build, thank you.

Great to hear! You got sleep working huh? Why am I the only one who can't seem to get sleep working on this board?:)

So I can't seem to get it to work at all. I've tried multiple USB sticks and have determined that one of them is probably faulty, but then the other ones don't seem to be getting past a certain stage.

I'm using the rBoot and xmove method right now because I couldn't get unibeast working correctly, I'm starting to think that I might have a faulty board as what seems to be a painless install for most is painful for me.

I'm currently frozen at this stage in the verbose boot:
Code:
Bug: launchctl.c:2406 (25182):30: (dbfd = open(g_job_overrides_db_path, O_RDONLY | O_EXLOCK | O_CREAT, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR)) !=N -1
com_lnx2mac_RealtekRTL81xx: Ethernet address (mac address here)

It wont go any further than this. I've tried the original version of the msi bios, the most recent, versions a4, a5, and i've just flashed the modded one that samisnake made and i'm still getting this problem. Any ideas? I'm seriously starting to think the board is either faulty, but it seems to work perfectly well in Ubuntu.

cvsrevolution said:
So I can't seem to get it to work at all. I've tried multiple USB sticks and have determined that one of them is probably faulty, but then the other ones don't seem to be getting past a certain stage.

I'm using the rBoot and xmove method right now because I couldn't get unibeast working correctly, I'm starting to think that I might have a faulty board as what seems to be a painless install for most is painful for me.

I'm currently frozen at this stage in the verbose boot:
Code:
Bug: launchctl.c:2406 (25182):30: (dbfd = open(g_job_overrides_db_path, O_RDONLY | O_EXLOCK | O_CREAT, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR)) !=N -1
com_lnx2mac_RealtekRTL81xx: Ethernet address (mac address here)

It wont go any further than this. I've tried the original version of the msi bios, the most recent, versions a4, a5, and i've just flashed the modded one that samisnake made and i'm still getting this problem. Any ideas? I'm seriously starting to think the board is either faulty, but it seems to work perfectly well in Ubuntu.

Hmm...definitely shouldn't be that difficult. What is the issue with unibeast? If you can't get a working lion usb drive then it's pretty tough to get things going right. Have you tested out your hardware to make sure it's error free? Memtest86+ maybe? Tried the onboard graphics instead of the 4870?

Basically strip the system down to the bare minimum. Mobo, cpu, ram, hdd or ssd, psu. See what happens then assuming you don't get any errors with the ram.

wfj said:
Hmm...definitely shouldn't be that difficult. What is the issue with unibeast? If you can't get a working lion usb drive then it's pretty tough to get things going right. Have you tested out your hardware to make sure it's error free? Memtest86+ maybe? Tried the onboard graphics instead of the 4870?

Basically strip the system down to the bare minimum. Mobo, cpu, ram, hdd or ssd, psu. See what happens then assuming you don't get any errors with the ram.

I'm going to run memtest to see what it says. I've booted into Ubuntu fine and don't experience any USB issues, originally one of my sticks seemed to have caused a problem where darwin would disable the USB ports. I've tried using a different device now and when I boot with -v I get to the realtek stage (Ram disks are created) but no further. I flag PCIRootUID=0 and get still waiting for root device.

It seems like USB issues are almost universal at this point. I get "init device failed" and then it creates the ram disks, but then it doesn't go past the ethernet initialization.

The unibeast issues are much the same as the others. I get to the realtek stage and it just crashes, if I boot with -f and Root=0 the USB drives fail to initiate.

EDIT: Ran Memtest86, testing both 4GB DIMMS in all 4 slots freezes after 6 seconds. I'm going to contact Amazon and get a replacement board. Ran memtest86+ and the memory appears to be fine, it definitely seems like this is a motherboard issue. Amazon have a great replacement policy though, next day shipping and a 30 day pre-paid return window, so I can't complain there. Hopefully all will be well when the replacement comes :)

Just a quick update - It was definitely a faulty board. Received my new one today, got it all rigged up and it booted up super quickly. Had to install without my Graphics card in, but plugged the card back in after the install finished and booted back up. Everything seems to be working pretty well. Thanks WFJ.

Sweet build, do you know if this specific 6870 works with more than 1 monitor? I'm assuming it does.

Dear Temjin,

I hope it isn't bad form to post a message on the forum. I live in Boulder and have been very interested in these builds for some time. Is there some user group in the area where I might participate and learn more? I will come bearing brews. :)

Regards,

Andrew

BoulderDrew said:
Dear Temjin,

I hope it isn't bad form to post a message on the forum. I live in Boulder and have been very interested in these builds for some time. Is there some user group in the area where I might participate and learn more? I will come bearing brews. :)

Regards,

Andrew

Hey Andrew. Just PM me and we can exchange info...I'm not aware of any user group but maybe we could start our own. Brews are always a welcome thing!

Great build.

Basically used your specs. Only difference was I went with an msi r6670 graphics cards. worked oob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back