Contribute
Register

wfj's Temjin Build: MSI Z68MA-ED55(B3)/i5 2500K/XFX 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank anyway! Yes, i know and i already have TI pci/card !

Those FakeSMC plugins for temp/fan readouts have been in Multibeast for quite some time.

I've always liked MSI's build quality. It is a shame more boards aren't supported. I've seen MSI boards work better OOB than the popular Gigabyte's, and that's without a DSDT. Nevertheless, there are still little things that sometimes aren't ironed out simply because it's not a popular enough board. This is why most people just play it safe and go with what's confirmed fully working. Although "fully" working's definition often varies between people =P.

The 6870 works OOB yes, but you must enable graphics enabler in Cham/Chimera. This is to inject the framebuffer. Otherwise apps like DVD player and Steam crash.

The plugins are there but there hasn't been any good apps that will also show you multiplier and frequency of the CPU in real time. That's why I linked up with the HWSensors thread.

What exactly do you mean "supported"? We have a user here that will do the BIOS mod so speedstepper isn't an issue and the install is a piece of cake. You can get everything working with just Chameleon Wizard and Kext Wizard if you wish. From the looks of it, any of the 1155 MSI boards with realtek lan and audio behave the same way. The bottom line is they really don't need much support. The only item left to work out is sleep but it's not a deal breaker for me regardless.

I don't think most people realize that this board works better than the gigabyte route. It just requires a little more knowledge.

Yeah. Sleep is the first thing I check for in any new hack, so it's definitely a deal breaker for me, assuming I couldn't get it to work.

EnzoFX said:
Yeah. Sleep is the first thing I check for in any new hack, so it's definitely a deal breaker for me, assuming I couldn't get it to work.

Well, that doesn't leave you many options with the 1155 boards then. Sleep seems pretty hit and miss. Still works great on my P55 setup, however!

I do seem to be in the minority as the Polish hack folks mentioned in the build description all have sleep working fine. And, just to clarify, my system goes to sleep fine but waking up is where I have problems.

i had a similar thing.
everyone and their dog had sleep working on the board i use, except me. black screen on wake.
turned out to be something simple.
sleep can be a touchy thing to get working sometimes

samisnake said:
i had a similar thing.
everyone and their dog had sleep working on the board i use, except me. black screen on wake.
turned out to be something simple.
sleep can be a touchy thing to get working sometimes

So what was the issue? That is very close to the problem I have. The system will go to sleep...when I wake it up, it powers on then immediately goes back to sleep state, then powers up again but the display never comes on. I can tell it's actually getting back up to the desktop because I can then turn it off by holding down the power button and I get the message about opening the last used programs at login. Strange...

i had overlooked an option in the bios, and the dsdt i was using had something in it which was preventing sleep.
if the scope_pr section of the dsdt was removed, sleep works fine

samisnake said:
i had overlooked an option in the bios, and the dsdt i was using had something in it which was preventing sleep.
if the scope_pr section of the dsdt was removed, sleep works fine

I'll have to check that out considering the dsdt's are probably similar. Thanks...

wfj,
Thanks for the awesome write-up on this build. It's the reason I finally pulled the trigger on trying to make a hack. I've obviously got a ton of reading to do before my parts arrive this week :crazy:
Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back