Contribute
Register

Well, this is scary "Your Computer Isn't Yours"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple is not in the business of selling personal info. Apple is not Google or Facebook.
Maybe they are not selling it but using it for their own purpose. In the end both are same thing.

Since October of 2012, Apple is a partner in the US military intelligence community’s PRISM spying program, which grants the US federal police and military unfettered access to this data without a warrant, any time they ask for it. In the first half of 2019 they did this over 18,000 times, and another 17,500+ times in the second half of 2019.

Good news, Apple has responded and said they will now encrypt the data transmitted during the Gatekeeper ocsp check and give end users the option to opt out of it.
All these responses came only after several security researchers found this notorious (intentional) bug. What more interesting is, its a serious security breach but they will fix this next year. In the meantime they will find an better and alternative way to send this information to their server.

It disappointing to see that they’ve let the NSA, CIA, your ISP, et al slurp up this unencrypted pattern-of-life data off the wire for the last 2+ years, and they’re still going to transmit the data (encrypted) to Apple in real time, on by default every single mac, but at least the 0.01% of mac users who know about it now can turn it off, so Apple will only get a real time log of what apps you open, when, and where for the other 99.99% of mac users. Good Luck!

Guys, I'm not here to fight but let me tell you one thing "PRIVACY IS A MYTH" and Apple isn't an exception. They are just too good at it. And they are accusing Facebook...LOL :clap:. My advise don't trust anyone.

Here is a little blog of Jeffrey Paul (Security Researcher) which you may find useful. I just borrowed some of his comments.

Last edited:
Maybe they are not selling it but using it for their own purpose. In the end both are same thing.

Since October of 2012, Apple is a partner in the US military intelligence community’s PRISM spying program, which grants the US federal police and military unfettered access to this data without a warrant, any time they ask for it. In the first half of 2019 they did this over 18,000 times, and another 17,500+ times in the second half of 2019.

All these responses came only after several security researchers found this notorious (intentional) bug. What more interesting is, its a serious security breach but they will fix this next year. In the meantime they will find an better and alternative way to send this information to their server.

It disappointing to see that they’ve let the NSA, CIA, your ISP, et al slurp up this unencrypted pattern-of-life data off the wire for the last 2+ years, and they’re still going to transmit the data (encrypted) to Apple in real time, on by default every single mac, but at least the 0.01% of mac users who know about it now can turn it off, so Apple will only get a real time log of what apps you open, when, and where for the other 99.99% of mac users. Good Luck!

Guys, I'm not here to fight but let me tell you one thing "PRIVACY IS A MYTH" and Apple isn't an exception. They are just too good at it. And they are accusing Facebook...LOL :clap:. My advise don't trust anyone.

Here is a little blog of Jeffrey Paul (Security Researcher) which you may find useful. I just borrowed some of his comments.

Did you read the following?:

I don't see anything in there that really compromises "personal" privacy.

Apple may be a partner in the PRISM program. But they are also often the public target of the government for not providing them the information that they want. Just because they are a PRISM partner doesn't mean they have anything useful or really "private" to give to the government.

I can be a partner of the PRISM program and cooperate with the government 100% and give them everything I know about you too. But since I don't have any info on you, it means nothing!!

Apple is the last company I'm worried about. I'm much more concerned with Google and Facebook. That Jeffrey Paul guy is spreading fear mongering click bait. Don't fall for the BS and disable the built-in anti-malware of macOS.

Don't fall for the BS and disable the built-in anti-malware of macOS.
Maybe we should just let them get malware ;-p I mean it is not our systems that will be compromised... Honestly I would personally much rather give apple my information then get malware but that is just me. It is not like apple does not have all my personal information already you know name, address, credit card, years of messages/text messages, my location when I connect to iCloud since you know it is just standard to know the IP address of the computer connecting to your servers. It is funny these people who think all of sudden they had privacy and now they do not... Privacy has been an illusion for so long... There are other things that are an illusion but I am sure it is against the rules to talk about anything in the political realm.

Maybe we should just let them get malware ;-p I mean it is not our systems that will be compromised... Honestly I would personally much rather give apple my information then get malware but that is just me. It is not like apple does not have all my personal information already you know name, address, credit card, years of messages/text messages, my location when I connect to iCloud since you know it is just standard to know the IP address of the computer connecting to your servers. It is funny these people who think all of sudden they had privacy and now they do not... Privacy has been an illusion for so long... There are other things that are an illusion but I am sure it is against the rules to talk about anything in the political realm.

Apple certainly has some info of mine but I can't think of anything that's "compromising". If/when the gov goes to them for info on me, I can't think of anything that I have to fear. They may know that I launched Safari, but they don't know which sites I visited.

Just because Apple is a partner in PRISM doesn't mean they are the enemy. As I see it, they are with PRISM to know more precisely what the gov wants and to protect users more.

Apple certainly has some info of mine but I can't think of anything that's "compromising". If/when the gov goes to them for info on me, I can't think of anything that I have to fear. They may know that I launched Safari, but they don't know which sites I visited.

Just because Apple is a partner in PRISM doesn't mean they are the enemy. As I see it, they are with PRISM to know more precisely what the gov wants and to protect users more.
They can come for me if they like also even if they look at the web sites I visit not a whole lot to hide.

Just because Apple is a partner in PRISM doesn't mean they are the enemy.
Maybe not but nobody wants their private chats or private images/videos to be eavesdropped by others.

Maybe not but nobody wants their private chats or private images/videos to be eavesdropped by others.

Does that happen on Apple devices?

If it is private it should not be on the internet period... The moment you place something on a computer that is connected to the internet you should come to terms with the fact someone could find it. In the old days I had ports 137/138/139 opened by my ISP basically that allowed me to map network drives over the internet came in super handy when I needed something from my drives. Sure it was a security hole the size of the titanic but I have nothing to hide!

Does that happen on Apple devices?
its not the devices its their server which govt or PRISM have access. I mean they can see if they want to.

its not the devices its their server which govt or PRISM have access. I mean they can see if they want to.

If you don't want them to see your stuff, don't use iCloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back