CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Hi Everyone -

i've got a gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH with a i7-3770k which worked flawlessly under 10.8 for years. maybe 2 months ago i decided to upgrade to yosemite. based on the install guide, i chose iMac 13,2 as the machine type, though under 10.8 i had always used macpro (though now i can't remember which.). the install uses Chameleon and there is no DSDT. it is kind of a by-the-book tonymac installation.

under yosemite i have kind of a strange problem - if i reboot, after coming all the way up to the login screen, the machine will hang hard after about 5 seconds. however, if i reboot with -v -x, and then immediately reboot again without -v -x, the machine comes up and stays up with no problem.

possibly related - if i try to shut down instead of reboot, it seems to always hang, and i have to hit the reset button or long power button. i do have EvOReboot installed.

i also have popping audio (makes a pop after the audio wakes up low power) but i guess i have to use the "antipopd" daemon for that. something is definitely weird with the audio, since sometimes after a few sleep-wakes it just stops working, and i have to unload and reload AppleHDA.

i'd like to solve the "hang after login screen" problem, if anyone has any advice.

thanks,

joe