i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, now this is absolutely weird. I have heard a few different opinions. Now, I would like some more. I will do my best to explain.

Using a GA-H55M-USB3 and GA-H55M-UD2H had same effect.

Ok, when I put RAM in all four slots on these boards the machine will hang after a little while and/or Kernel Panic. Now, when I go back into BIOS it shows that all the slots are filled but only 2 are active. These are slots 1 and 2. Then, to verify bad RAM I switch the RAM that is being read correctly with the RAM that is not being read correctly. Still get freezing and/or KP. So, as long as I have slots 1 and 2 only occupied the machine works great and no worries. Add even one to slot 3 or 4 and you all can guess for yourselves.

Two opinions have been given to me.
1 - Bad RAM. If I switch the sticks between slots 1/2 and 3/4 everything works. So, I don't know.
2 - Power supply. Yet, when I ran the minimum peripherals the machine still hangs and/or KP.
:banghead: :beachball: :think: :thumbdown: :crazy: :?: :!: :evil: :twisted: :confused: :lolno: :x :p o_O :wave:

All these emotions at once. Yes, so any help would be great. :headbang:

Are the ram sticks all the same?

If not, check specs for timings to see if default values are the same.

Is there a setting in your bios to enable an xms profile ?

But I suspect that for one reason or another the module is not seating properly.

Run memtest.

Test each strip individually or in pairs.

Okay, here is my 2cents:

For ram. first of all, I assume you know that the ram slots are in pairs. So I assume when you said 1,2 that means the first pair. ( on the UD2H board there are a pair of white and pari of light blue ones.) So you have occupied the ram slots in pairs....(both in blue or both in white). in other words, 1/3 should be occupied at the same time. or 2/4.

so if 1/2 can be read and 3/4 cannot.....that is the motherboards problem.

I couldn't tell it from your description, so I assume when it fails, it fails in a pair (same color slots)

now that is out of the way...

It could be the bad ram, or incorrect ram.

Incorrect ram means that the voltage was not set properly on the ram. the voltage on those boards run 1.5 or 1.6. if you got a low profile one you might get the 1.35v and it will not run correctly on the H55M boards. < I tried. 1.35v will not run. I was actually running samsung 4GB/1333 x 4 =16GB on the UD2H board. overkill....>

another possibility (more unlikely) is that your rams have different controllers. sometimes module house like corsair don't use the same controller even in the same batch of production. it could easily be a good memory with a bad controller (even when you buy it at the same time) , which is not feeding correct info to your motherboard....

just some ideas.

Forgot to mention;

if you like you can check against the motherboards database, I am pretty sure those boards support dual rank rams....and some times these simple boards cannot read rams that are over-stacked dies, like 128x4 will not read but 256x2 will be readable/usable. some module design/manufacturer do cheaper rams for lower price market with 4-stack dies, which not all motherboards can use.....

just another possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back