Contribute
Register

WEIRD QUESTION NAS as external HDD not fully working?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mountain Lion
CPU
I7 2600
Graphics
Radeon 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Everybody,

I need to tell you a small story in order to understand whats going on so here I go...
Not so long ago I have purchased my first NAS = Business Storage 4-Bay NAS.
Because my Ethernet port downstairs is too far away I want my NAS to connect directly into my Hackintosh using an Ethernet cable because I need to transfer big files and that's the best and fastest solution I quess.

So I Googled and found out that I need to change my Ethernet IP address based on my NAS IP address, but needs to have 1 number in difference from the last 3 numbers soooo that means:

NAS IP = 192.168.1.101
ETHERNET IP = 192.168.1.102

I also found out my Subnet Mask should be the same as my NAS which is : 255.255.255.0

Next you should be able to use finder tabs to do -> GO-> CONNECT TO SERVER.
And just use -> afp://192.168.1.101 as my Server Address and click connect...

BUT NOTHING HAPPENS AND IT KEEPS SPINNING AND SPINNING AND .... yeah you got it....

SOOOoooooo

After a couple of days of looking for solutions I found this page -> http://inderpreetsingh.com/2010/04/07/hackintosh-doesnt-connect-via-ethernet/

So I tried this like it says on the website -> sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:11:22:33:44:55 (in terminal)
And made sure my wifi is off and restarted.
Then I went back to -> Connect to server and did the same Server Address (my NAS IP) and Yes I got in finally!

(Maybe its because I have a Hackintosh and my Ethernet is acting up weird and that's maybe the reason why I need to do all of that above?? I don't know you tell me I hope :)

BUT I GOT 2 PROBLEMS AND 1 QUESTION NOW... AND I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME WITH THESE!

1) I need to do this every time if I want to access my NAS directly.
2) If I want to use my wifi while my big backup is doing its work on my NAS ... that's not possible, how can I make it possible

And 1 more question, maybe you guys know the perfect solution so I can use my NAS like it should be (trough internet) but as I told you before my Ethernet port is downstairs and too far to reach... (and your solution needs to be FAST because I will be sending large video files to my NAS)

Can you guys fix this for me?
BIG BIG THANKS!

It's a story but you have not told it all - How do you connect to the internet ?
Are you using a router and if so, does it have a DHCP server ?

INTERNET
i
i
i
ROUTER ------- WIRELESS
i i
i i________________________ ETHERNET ___________ COMPUTER - WIRELESS
i
NAS

Is this how your network is set up ?

If so, Go to System Preferences / Network and click on Ethernet
Configure IPv4 - Select Manual
IP Address 192.168.1.102
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Router [IP Address of Router] (maybe 192.168.1.100 in your case)

Alternatively, you could connect directly to your NAS with a Crossover Ethernet cable

NAS ========x====== COMPUTER

You would still need to configure the System Preferences as above

This is how I connect

ROUTER (connects wireless to) ->>>>> HACKINTOSH (connects directly to) ->>>>>>>> NAS

And I'm already using a Crossovercable but that made NO difference.
I still need to type the code every time I want to do a backup or so and shut my computer down.
And I still cannot connect to wifi while doing backups.

The perfect way should be to use my NAS with Internet, but since my router is downstairs and unable to bring an Ethernet cable to my computer I don't think that's an option?

Have you tried setting the network options to manual ?

Yes, but that's not my problem.
I got a couple of questions that need to be answered.

*I think its weird that I need to paste that piece of code every time in terminal (how can I fix this)
*I cannot use wife while doing a backup with these settings (same, how can I fix this)
*And tried to get 400 GB to my NAS yesterday but it told me it would take me over 2 days!... (how can I make this faster?!)

And a separate question: Maybe there is a better way for all my problems by using a different method so I still can use my NAS with internet but as you know my router is almost unable to reach my computer.

You shouldn't have to enter any "code".

Your Router, Ethernet and Wireless all need to have different IP addresses on the same subnet.
Normally this is achieved by a DHCP server within your router but you can assign them manually as I suggested previously.

Your NAS is 192.168.1.101
Set your Ethernet manually to 192.168.1.102
Set your Wireless manually to 192.168.1.103 (or assign it with the DHCP server in your Router)
Set your Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0

This assumes that your router has an IP address in the range 192.168.1.xxx
This way you can access your NAS through Ethernet and your Router through Wireless.

A different solution would be to use Ethernet through Mains - Amazon

That did not work for me.
I went to Network settings and got into Advanced (wi fi)
And changed my IPv4 address to 192.168.1.103 but now I have no wifi anymore.

That did not work for me.
I went to Network settings and got into Advanced (wi fi)
And changed my IPv4 address to 192.168.1.103 but now I have no wifi anymore.

Just change WiFi back to "Using DHCP" to return to where you were before.

What is the IP address of your Router ?

192.168.1.1 = ROUTER

Thank you for the help already ;)

192.168.1.1 = ROUTER

That is the IP address you need to enter as Router when you configure WiFi manually.

WiFi -TCP/IP
Configure IPv4 Address Manually
IPv4 Address 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.1.1

DNS
Click + and enter 8.8.8.8 Press return
Click + and enter 8.8.4.4 Press return

Try that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back