Motherboard
Acer V5 573P 9899
CPU
i7 4500U Haswell ULT
Graphics
HD4400 1920x1080 Clover EFI Bootloader
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I installed ML 10.8.2 a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to make various components work. Right now i need to get the HDMI audio working on my ga-h77-d3h. I am using the igp HD4000 (HD4000 works, last week was able to get the ethernet ar8161 recognized)

Anyways tonight i was reading everything that i could find about HDMI audio for vt2021 and was longer on the machine when i recieved the message that my startup disk is running low on space. At this moment, i do not have much installed on a 100 gb partition so i checked through get info and i had only 586 mb left. And while i was still looking, ever 10 to 20 secs the free space kept decreasing and decreasing. Not knowing what to do i restarted the system and used get info again. Voila, the used space was only 9 gb and free space of about 91 gb, however, it started decreasing every 10 to 20 secs by about half an mb (without the disk usage led showing any activity).

I am a total newbe and have no idea on how to even figure out the problem let alone how to troubleshoot. I am mostly a windows user and can pretty well troubleshoot many issues, however, since i installed ML, i have fallen in love with it. It is truely a marvelous OS and extremely fluent, but my learning curve is being hindered but some initial quirks that needs fixing (HDMI audio etc) so i can use time machine to save a working copy of the system befor i start installing stuff on it. (For me, i think, if audio starts working (and space usage mystry solved, i would be a very happy camper).

Anyways, I need community help with figuring out whats going on with my HD space, why is it being used with such a speed and why i get the space back after reboot, though if i can just fix the issue, that is what counts most

***** It would not be a good system if it kept running out of space (about 90 gigs of it) in about an hour thus forcing a reboot every hour of use. *****:banghead:

Please help,
Thanks

More information.

SSD ?
Solution: Trim Support

Programs running ?
Some Software creates their own virtual memory on HD ( Photoshop e.g.)

Bad installation or incomplete ?
Some installation processes run hidden and unvisible. if they are not completed, they run at next boot,
that blows up the disk, cause they use diskspace to extract their data. when complete, they delete the used space.

Time Machine ?
maybe you accidentely activated Time Machine ( backup) on same disk.

and it happens only to your SSD drive ?

My two cents:
Install a program like WhatSize (Shareware) or Disk Inventory X (Free) when you are experiencing this issue so you can see what is going on
Knowing what is using those Gbs may help you to find what is eating up your SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back