Contribute
Register

Weird kernel panics and errors when installing Yosemite on GA-Z87X-UD3H (P1GRIM I'd love your help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4770K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'll preface by saying I was finally able to get this all installed and 'working' as of this morning. Fingers crossed. However, I want to understand what happened in case my victory is short-lived.

----Hardware----

i7 4770k
GA-Z87X-UD3H (bios was F8m, now F10b)
GTX-770
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Sandisk SSD

----Drama----

I decided to finally get around to doing a clean install of Yosemite (from Mavs). First time I tried installing it (with all hardware in the case), it worked without a problem. However, because I'm stupid and OCD, I thought I missed a step and tried reformatting/reinstalling shortly after. That's when these stupid "deadbeef" kernel panics started.

I tried going back to Mavs, because I thought this was being caused by Yosemite. Mavs was working, until I rebooted after multibeast and got a kernel panic on the apple load screen. It wouldn't load after multiple reboots unless I typed in "maxmem=8192". I thought my BIOS was to blame, so I updated it to 10b. The kernel panic went away. So I thought "Hey! This is what was causing the deadbeef panics on Yosemite! Now I can install!" Nope.

Due to OCD I wanted to do everything "right". I stumbled upon P1GRIM's guide. So I removed the GTX 770, removed 1 out of 2 sticks of RAM, and proceeded to install Yosemite with 1 stick and onboard graphics. That's when weird deadbeef errors, install hangs, etc started. Sometimes the installer would load, sometimes it wouldn't. It didn't seem to matter if I was putting in -x, -v, or maxmem. What bugged me was the randomness of it. The only time it would seem to load consistently is AFTER i did a fresh install on a USB drive. My poor USB is probably at the end of its rope from as many times as I've formatted and installed Unibeast on it tonight.

If I reached the installer, I would sometimes get "device errors" when trying to format using Disk Util. Sometimes I wouldn't. Each time I'd reboot to try to fix it. Finally, I'd reach the installer, and it would stop and say an error occured when reading "Essentials.pkg". WHAT?

After research, I rebooted, typed '-x -no-zp' and was able to reach the disk util, installer, and finally the desktop (the desktop required no flags, just the installer). I installed multibeast, and after a short issue with display (forgot to disable intel graphics), I was in Yosemite.

----Primary questions----

Why did I have to go through all of this? Many people have the same hardware and didn't have these issues.

Does it matter that I had a "messy" install? (i.e. having to use bootflags, etc)? Does multibeast take care of a lot of nuances that can cause issues during initial install?

Thanks a lot in advance. Here's some screenshots of random errors I got.

3.jpg2.JPG1.JPG4.JPG

Firstly, please add your system specs to your profile/sig - It helps others to help you and is a requirement of the Rules.

Thanks in anticipation

I'm glad that my guide helped you but please be aware that it was written some time ago for Mavericks not Yosemite. The procedure is similar but there are differences.

It doesn't matter that you had to use bootlegs to install, that's quite normal. All that you want to do is get to the desktop so that you can run Multibeast. It's what happens afterwards that counts.

What stage are you at now ?

Screenshots of random errors serve no purpose without the context that they were taken in.

Firstly, please add your system specs to your profile/sig - It helps others to help you and is a requirement of the Rules.

Done.

I'm glad that my guide helped you but please be aware that it was written some time ago for Mavericks not Yosemite. The procedure is similar but there are differences.

Yikes. What differences? By the way, did you have any issues when you updated to f10b? Is there a way to flash our BIOS back to factory version? If so I haven't found it yet.

It doesn't matter that you had to use bootlegs to install, that's quite normal. All that you want to do is get to the desktop so that you can run Multibeast. It's what happens afterwards that counts.

Well, I'm more concerned that I've never had to use them before. The only bootflags I've ever needed for the Mavs installer was "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" and that was only because I had a GTX 460 at the time.

What stage are you at now ?

Currently the OS is installed and functional with iMac 14,2 definition. I guess Multibeast does something magical that negates the need for bootflags?

Have you ever encountered the "couldn't open device" error when trying to format or partition your boot drive?

Thanks so much P1LGRIM! You definitely have been a big help.

Last edited:
By the way, did you have any issues when you updated to f10b? Is there a way to flash our BIOS back to factory version? If so I haven't found it yet.
Issues ? What sort of issues ? It's a simple process. Read your manual for procedure.

I guess Multibeast does something magical that negates the need for bootflags?
There is nothing magical about Multibeast, it's just a tool to help you install kexts and a boot loader.

Have you ever encountered the "couldn't open device" error when trying to format or partition your boot drive?
No

Issues ? What sort of issues ? It's a simple process. Read your manual for procedure.

Not issues installing it, issues as a result of installing it. As in, kernel panics, etc.

I'm concerned because I've flashed somewhat out of order: f7 to f8 to f8m <backwards then to f10b. Or should I not be concerned and leave it be?

Should I be concerned that I encountered the "Couldn't open device" error? Is my SSD bad?

Why do you think I had to use bootflags for Yosemite but not for Mavs?

Thanks again for your help.

I'm concerned because I've flashed somewhat out of order: f7 to f8 to f8m <backwards then to f10b. Or should I not be concerned and leave it be?
Whatever you flash replaces whatever was there previously, therefore the order is inconsequential.
If it's not broken don't fix it - f10b works very well for me.

Should I be concerned that I encountered the "Couldn't open device" error? Is my SSD bad?
No idea

Why do you think I had to use bootflags for Yosemite but not for Mavs?
Because it's a different Operating System.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it! :headbang::thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back