Contribute
Register

Weird double Clover boot menus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there is no UEFI bios upgrade for my GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 rev.1 on the Gigabyte website, I am stuck with legacy.
Currently I have the latest F10 firmware.

Attached are the screenshots from the 2 Clover-about screens.
I seem to have 2 different EFI versions, but honestly I have no idea what that means.

Pressing escape in the first menu briefly flashes the screen but does not bring up any drive icons.

The EFI partition only contains a boot exec and the EFI folder.

Attachments

• Clover2-about.JPG
    Clover2-about.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Clover1-about.JPG
    Clover1-about.JPG
    329.3 KB · Views: 79
UPDATE :
This is how I solved the double Clover boot problem on my system. Remember YMMV.

1) In Mojave mount and open the EFI partition.
2) Delete all files and folders in the partition. Keep a copy of the EFI folder on your desktop so that you have a backup of your kexts, config.plist settings etc.
3) Use Mojave Multibeast to install the UEFI Clover bootloader.
(I know it is crazy to install UEFI because my system is supposed to be legacy bios only)
4) This will populate your EFI partition again but without the boot file.
5) Add again any kexts, DSDT you had before and update your config.plist so that it is the same as before.
6) Reboot
7) The system now boots to Mojave with only one Clover menu.

Maybe somebody can explain in detail why this works ?

As far as I know my GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 is not UEFI capable or is it ?
There is a EFI CD/DVD boot option set to its default AUTO, but I have no idea what that does.

DUDE YOU SAVED ME THANK YOU

UPDATE :
This is how I solved the double Clover boot problem on my system. Remember YMMV.

2) Delete all files and folders in the partition. Keep a copy of the EFI folder on your desktop so that you have a backup of your kexts, config.plist settings etc.
(I know it is crazy to install UEFI because my system is supposed to be legacy bios only)
5) Add again any kexts, DSDT you had before and update your config.plist so that it is the same as before.
6) Reboot

Maybe somebody can explain in detail why this works ?

As far as I know my GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 is not UEFI capable or is it ?
There is a EFI CD/DVD boot option set to its default AUTO, but I have no idea what that does.
I followed this guide, but now I am stuck at the boot screen with the Apple logo but the loading bar does not fill.
Do I need to rebuild kext once I place back all the kexts in EFI>Clover>kexts>other?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: manage to get back to where I started. But still need help on how to remove the double Clover screen.

Last edited:
I ended up resorting with a clean install, but to my surprise the double Clover screen still persist.
It hasn't been like this prior to updating my BIOS, making me believe that it must have been due to some different BIOS settings.
And I notice that there is one extra setting that wasn't available before, which is an "EFI CD/DVD Boot Option".
The options for it are "Non-EFI", "EFI" and "Auto".
I've tried all 3 options but it still gives the same double Clover screen.
Would really appreciate if anyone could give any insights on what this is and whether or not it has anything to do with the double Clover screen.

Exactly this happened to me, when I updated my BIOS to its newest Version (it's FE now, not FB anymore) while running on my Windows 10 partition and (i don't know if this has to do with it) updating Windows 10 to the current build 2004.
I had started Windows 10 from the drive directly (BIOS Boot Menu, without using Clover) and when I was done there and wanted to start Mac OS (Mojave) again, I ran exactly into this problem.

The first Clover boot menu showed only my windows hd, going to exit there opened the second boot menu which looked like I was used to it and was able to boot MacOS just fine.

When I tried GammaKappa's guide, Clover didn't appear at all. So I downloaded the latest official version of clover and reinstalled it in my boot drive. Now I am back to the two boot screens.

What I don't understand is the "About" screens. The first one shows "Tianocore" as firmware, the second one "Clover". Can anyone explain to me please, what that is supposed to mean? I'm actually not really good at this...

(edit: added info about BIOS versions)

6) Reboot

GammaKappa's guide has worked for me - the Clover boot screen resolution is low, but what was the 2nd clover screen is now the 1st and only clover screen, then goes to the apple bar, loads 75%, then switches to a high resolution apple bar and I get my mojave login!

At Step 5 I added the FakeSMC.kext (dragged it from the EFI folder on the desktop to mounted EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other), added my DSDT (dragged it from the EFI folder on the desktop to the mounted - EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched) and checked my cofig.plist line by line with the old one in Text Edit and cut and pasted any differences! (I guess I could have just dragged that in too!)

If you're stuck at the apple boot it might be because you need to DISABLE USB 3.0 in the bios?

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer. :)
No, I am not stuck at the apple boot. Currently Mojave boots just fine, the only drawback is the double boot menu screens. So, it's more anoying than a real error.

The installed drivers are: ApfsDriverLoader, AppleImageCodec, AppleKeyAggregator, AppleUITheme, AudioDxe, HFSPlus and NTFS.

Kexts in "Other": FakeSMC, Lilu, NoVPA and RealtekRTL8111

My DSDT is included.

As I said, installing the MultiBeast Clover UEFI version did not show clover for me at all. But maybe I was some drivers missing at that point. I will probably try it again with the current official clover version for UEFI (which is currently running for BIOS here with the two screens), when I have a little more time.

I'm actually quite sure that the BIOS update is the cause for all this. It's not mentioned anywhere on the Gigabyte site, but is it possible that they somehow implemented a UEFI..."emulation" or something like that into their normal BIOS? Is such a thing possible at all?
Alternatively, the BIOS update introduced BIOS-Support for HDs >3TB (which I have built in, but all of their EFIs are empty)... maybe something happened there.

Thanks for your answer. :)
No, I am not stuck at the apple boot. Currently Mojave boots just fine, the only drawback is the double boot menu screens. So, it's more anoying than a real error.

The installed drivers are: ApfsDriverLoader, AppleImageCodec, AppleKeyAggregator, AppleUITheme, AudioDxe, HFSPlus and NTFS.

Kexts in "Other": FakeSMC, Lilu, NoVPA and RealtekRTL8111

My DSDT is included.

As I said, installing the MultiBeast Clover UEFI version did not show clover for me at all. But maybe I was some drivers missing at that point. I will probably try it again with the current official clover version for UEFI (which is currently running for BIOS here with the two screens), when I have a little more time.

I'm actually quite sure that the BIOS update is the cause for all this. It's not mentioned anywhere on the Gigabyte site, but is it possible that they somehow implemented a UEFI..."emulation" or something like that into their normal BIOS? Is such a thing possible at all?
Alternatively, the BIOS update introduced BIOS-Support for HDs >3TB (which I have built in, but all of their EFIs are empty)... maybe something happened there.

And yes, given the right drivers and kexts, Clover appears and works just fine when installed in UEFI mode on my supposedly legacy BIOS system. Weird, but... it's not stupid if it works, so...

GammaKappa, you ROCK! I’ve been struggling since installing Catalina and your guide saved me! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back