Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Wonder if anyone else has had this odd thing occur at any time.

In Clover Configurator, I've added custom (legacy) boot entries, one for an old install of OS X Lion and one for my Windows partition but when I reboot, the Clover menu only shows my main Sierra macOS.

The odd thing is, if I go to the menu entry that says 'Exit Clover', the screen goes black for a few seconds, a white '6' appears up in the top left of the screen and another Clover menu loads, now with all 3 boot entries!

?????

And I can't for the life of my find where these two Clover menus are being pulled from to be able to delete one and tidy the whole mess up!

On the EFI partition? In the MBR? I don't really understand the location of files when it comes to booting to be honest.

I have the same problem. I have one empty clover menu. On exit i have a real clover menu with the boot options. I haven't found any info to remove the useless extra clover menu.

same problem for me.
Another detail: The first menu is with low resolution the second menu is hi resolution.

Edit:
Also the EFI revisions of the two menus are different (see images)

I deleted all files on EFI and reinstall Clover, but nothing changed...

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I'm having the same exact problem, down to the white "6" between Clover menus. Only difference is the 2nd (working) menu is version 2.60.

Since you all probably don't have multiple EFI-partitions, I find it likely that you have installed Clover both as UEFI and as legacy.
You might find that you get the "Start UEFI Shell" option in only one of the menus.

Try saving everything important such as DSDTs, config, themes and kextst and then deleting everything from your EFI partition and reinstalling Clover. Maki sure to back up the files and restore them immediately after installation.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I still have the exact same problem as the OP.

As suggested, I have deleted all files in the EFI partition and re-installed Clover using the Clover_v2.4k_r4961-legacy package.
Then I added DSDT, kexts and SMBIOS using the configurator.

I still have the double Clover menus. The first one is empty. Selecting exit brings up the second one which shows my Mojave SSD and a lot of others.
From there I can boot into Mojave without any problem.

I am still very confused over the legacy-bios vs. UEFI.
I thought the legacy version was for bios based systems, but in the first Clover menu I see an option to start UEFI Shell64

Maybe related is the strange partioning of the SSD. I have one Samsung EVO 850 SSD in this system.
According to the Clover configurator the SSD has
DISK0 with 2 partitions : EFI (disk0s1) and APFS container (disk0s2)
DISK1 with 4 partitions : Mojave, Preboot, Recovery and VM

Mojave seems to run well so I do not worry too much about the complex partioning, but I would like to get rid of the double Clover menus.

I'm in the same boat as GammaKappa - two stage boot with initial empty Clover menu and then the real deal. It doesn't affect performance but is a bit messy.

Any suggestions on rationalising would be great. Running a BIOS only system with legacy settings, and a Samsung Evo 860 boot disk with APFS formatting

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I still have the exact same problem as the OP.

I still have the double Clover menus. The first one is empty. Selecting exit brings up the second one which shows my Mojave SSD and a lot of others.

Sounds like exactly the issue mentioned by @phuppert above. Clover is almost certainly installed in both boot modes. The empty menu is probably because one instance isn't properly configured. Clover should only be installed as UEFI or Legacy on an internal disk not both at the same time for the sake of simplicity.

I am still very confused over the legacy-bios vs. UEFI.

If you're system supports UEFI then install for that mode only. There's not much advantage (if any) in legacy BIOS on a modern system.

Maybe related is the strange partioning of the SSD.

That's normal as APFS containers will appear as separate disks.

As suggested, I have deleted all files in the EFI partition and re-installed Clover using the Clover_v2.4k_r4961-legacy package.

The legacy MBR boot code is still on the disk. Just reinstalling Clover isn't going to remove the legacy boot function. You could move your Clover or SSD UEFI boot entry to the top of the boot list in the BIOS as a work around. Otherwise you'll probably need to back up the system and reformat and reinstall macOS and then Clover in UEFI only mode.

I'm in the same boat as GammaKappa - two stage boot with initial empty Clover menu and then the real deal.

See my response above and see what might work for you if no one else has suggestions.

My system is legacy-BIOS only.
I guess I would have to get rid of the UEFI boot entry then.
Can I do that without a reformat and reinstall ?

My system is legacy-BIOS only.
I guess I would have to get rid of the UEFI boot entry then.
Can I do that without a reformat and reinstall ?

If you're sure the system is legacy-BIOS only then UEFI booting is irrelevant and something else is happening. Is this the one in your profile (GA-Z68X-UD5-B3)? What firmware is shown in Clover's "About" section on both screens? Also, does pressing the Escape key at the first Clover screen bring up the drive icons without exiting? You may want to post screenshots of the menus and the contents of your EFI partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back