i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 560
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Weird CPU Issue (Solved)

Hello everyone. I have had an issue for the past few months, and I've just now figured out enough about what exactly is happing to try and get some help. I use my hack for audio editing and a few months back I noticed that things seemed like they were working a lot slower than they used to. So I ran a geekbench test and noticed that my scores had dropped from 12,000 to around 9,000. So I went online searching for a solution, and after trying many different solutions the one that finally work was to install the nullcpu kext. When I installed that kext, my geekbench scores were back to where I expected them to be, and my audio editing program seemed to be functioning the way I am used to. After awhile however I noticed that the problem had returned. I checked to make sure the nullcpu kext hadn't gotten uninstalled by mistake, and rebooted. After a reboot my audio program would work fine for about 15 mins and then slow down to a crawl. I tested a few other high CPU usage programs and noticed the same pattern. After I figured out this pattern I rebooted and ran geekbench again, which yielded my expected score of around 12,000. I would run geekbench again every 30 mins or so without opening any other programs, and the score would stay the same. Then after trying this several times, I opened up my audio editing software, and again it would run great for about 15 minutes before slowing down to a crawl. I then completely shut down the program and ran geekbench again, which gave me a score of 9,000. I tried this process again with several other high CPU usage programs and got the same results. It seems like anytime my processor reaches a certain load, it is throttled back in speed, and will not return to full speed again until a reboot. If anyone has any possible solutions to this problem, I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

System Info:

Motherboard - MSI P67a-GD55
CPU -
Intel i7 2600k
Graphics -
XFX GeForce GTX 560 1024MB
OS - Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Notes:
Correct SSDT installed
DSDT Installed
I am using Nullcpu kext
Have tried factory bios & modded bios

Wierd CPU Issue

have tried disabling c1 in bios cpu bois management ? check cpu temps maybe getting to hot and throttling back cpu

Wierd CPU Issue (Solved)

Thanks Stehor! You hit the nail on the head with the cpu temp suggestion. I haddent thought of that so when you mentioned it I checked my CPU temp and it was running at 97° in idle after a cold boot!!!! So I took apart my computer and I noticed that one of the pins that hold my HSF to the CPU had broken off. So I grabbed another HSF that I had laying around, installed it, booted up, and my temps were around 45-50° now. Now my audio program is working correctly and my geekbench scores are back to where they should be. Thanks again for steering me in the right direction

Wierd CPU Issue

Thanks Stehor! You hit the nail on the head with the cpu temp suggestion. I haddent thought of that so when you mentioned it I checked my CPU temp and it was running at 97° in idle after a cold boot!!!! So I took apart my computer and I noticed that one of the pins that hold my HSF to the CPU had broken off. So I grabbed another HSF that I had laying around, installed it, booted up, and my temps were around 45-50° now. Now my audio program is working correctly and my geekbench scores are back to where they should be. Thanks again for steering me in the right direction

glad i could help you out. ive seen this many times before.its a good idea to check your tim once a year as some compounds dry out in a yr. please put solved in your title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back