Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
So I've been a Windows user my whole life.

Found Tonys' Blog and built me a hackintosh! It's been running great for a couple of months now so I went out and got Design Premium CS5 for Mac.

I've been using CS3 on Windows until this upgrade and I don't know if its the worst purchase I could have made.

The thing is, Dreamweaver HANGS!!! I really mean HANGS!!! All the time. On start up, I'll wait about 2-3 minutes before I can start working, the live view sucks cos I have to wait 5 minutes before it previews and the related files as well, maybe another 2-3 minutes before the program responds.

Now, I'm pretty sure its not my build as the seem to be a few users over at Adobe forums complaining about the same thing (both Windows & Mac) and all my other apps run pretty smoothly without any issues.

So question? Is there a way to fix this issue cos Adobe hasn't done anything about it. (I'll have to wait and see if the next Dreamweaver update fixes anything)

Or is there a 'Dreamweaver' like app that I could use instead? Preferably free.

And, is there anyone else that is having this Dreamweaver issue on their hack?

Thanx for reading my boring story :yawn:

Not Free :cry: But throwing these out there.

I had textmate for a couple years now and use it for HTML, PHP and SQL. Just recently purchased Coda. will use both, but Coda is more like DW.

citomacx86 said:
Not Free :cry: But throwing these out there.

I had textmate for a couple years now and use it for HTML, PHP and SQL. Just recently purchased Coda. will use both, but Coda is more like DW.

Yea, I was thinking of ditching the entire Adobe suite and to settle with Pixelmator & Coda .. They look really good and I'm using the trials, not too bad but it will never be Adobe Ps & Dw .. :thumbdown:

I have made the adjustment back to HTML editors (Just like I did when I got my start with the Hotdog HTML editor) back in the day. True nothing will ever replace the Pro $$$ :crazy: $$$ tools but some do come close. I was lucky to get PS for the Mac but to be honest, I really want an PS alternative since I'm done paying that price in the future. Goal is to find just-as-good and cheaper if-not-free software to do the job.

I think Sketch, DrawIt and Pixelmator replace most of the things in Photoshop/Illustrator I could possibly want. And Coda is more than better than the beast that is Dreamweaver.

I've been doing quite a bit of web design and little PHP coding lately. The nice thing about OSX is that it already has Apache and PHP installed so all you have to do is turn on web sharing.

For designing I use CS3. I do a lot of my initial mockups in Indesign and Photoshop. I've never liked Dreamweaver - it's always seemed big and clunky to me and the live preview never looks like any of the major browsers. Coda is my choice app for doing HTML, CSS and Javascript/Jquery. I also use:
-Free Ruler to measure things out on the screen
-OSX's Digitalcolor Meter to capture colours on screen
-css3please.com to generate crossbrowser compatible css3 code
-Virtualbox to run Windows XP, and I use IETester to test my sites in IE6, IE7 and IE8

I'm finding it extemely hard to let go of Dreamweaver, .. I've down-graded my CS5 to CS4 which runs a 'bit' better (Still hangs but not as long as what CS5 does!) - I don't use the Design view and spend most of my time looking at the code view .. So why is it so hard for me to just let the bloated app go? :banghead:

I recently attempted to use Dreamweaver CS5 for mac. I've used CS3 and 4 on Windows before, and they were fine. A little bloated, but they worked OK.

CS5 on mac is an absolute disaster! It's *so* prone to crashing. It fails to recognise my non-QWERTY keyboard layout for keyboard shortcuts. It doesn't support the usual Mac behaviour for navigating text (e.g. hold command and press left or right to get to the beginning or end of line). The default font is so absurdly small I can't read it. Did I mention that it crashes a lot? Argh, what a piece of ****.

For designing websites, I've found Microsoft's Expression Web to be surprisingly decent, and half the price of Dreamweaver. I know it's not on Mac. Just thought I'd... throw that out there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back