Contribute
Register

Web Dev on Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aptana is your friend. Supports all kinds of formats ranging from simple html to js,php and many others. The ide is like eclipse except its geared for web development. Hope this helps.

I got my hackintosh working midweek, and use it for web development so one of the first things i did was install CS5 (only for photoshop though, not a fan of dreamweaver!). Then went for Textmate and enabled the PHP thats on OS X and set up my vhosts file.

I haven't opened Dreamweaver, but Photoshop has no problems on my machine what so ever.

Currently just running Textmate on the 30-day trial, but think I will probably get a license when it expires - Coda would be my alternative but I'm not sure why I would need both and the only thing I can think Coda has over textmate is the subversion gui.

FunkTrooper said:
I recently attempted to use Dreamweaver CS5 for mac. I've used CS3 and 4 on Windows before, and they were fine. A little bloated, but they worked OK.

CS5 on mac is an absolute disaster! It's *so* prone to crashing. It fails to recognise my non-QWERTY keyboard layout for keyboard shortcuts. It doesn't support the usual Mac behaviour for navigating text (e.g. hold command and press left or right to get to the beginning or end of line). The default font is so absurdly small I can't read it. Did I mention that it crashes a lot? Argh, what a piece of ****.

For designing websites, I've found Microsoft's Expression Web to be surprisingly decent, and half the price of Dreamweaver. I know it's not on Mac. Just thought I'd... throw that out there though.

you can always add another drive (or create another partition) and install Win7 for a dual-boot setup. run the apps that you like under win7 and others under OSX.

i have no issues with dreamweaver cs5 on all my builds

I don't make a living doing what you guys do. (Matter-of-fact, I'm retired.) However, I did have one of the 1st official web sites in a large organization in the mid 90's, mainly to prove to my leadership that the web was a great way to get info out to people w/o spamming them. (Careful what you wish for, you may get it.) I say that not to brag, but to let you know where I'm coming from with my recommendations below.

I still use a couple of these text editors, mainly because they're less expensive than the Abode corrupted DreamWeaver which was a great product until Adobe bought it. (They also bought PageMill, which was THE web page editor for Macs in the 90s, but killed it when they bought DreamWeaver.)

Here's my inputs:

PageSpinner. Costs $40USD, but not a WYSIWYG editor. Nevertheless, highly rated as an HTML editor.

BBEdit 9. Costs $100USB. As it says on the BBEdit web site, "It doesn’t suck." Again, not a WYSIWYG editor. I used it first until I found PageSpinner.

I don't know of any WYSIWYG editors worth mentioning.

One of the best web development systems currently available to developers is the Google WebToolkit ( http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/overview.html ). You will also need to download and install Eclipse in order to use it.

With it you can build AJAX based applications with rich interfaces. Debugging support fantastic. The only catch is that you must have a solid understanding of the Java language and some OO programming under your belt.

As for Hackintosh relevance, I have been using the 64 bit Eclipse IDE and GWT on a 10.5.7 Hackintosh for 6 months without any glitches whatsoever. You need at least 4GB of RAM for Eclipse and GWT to work smoothly, with only 2GB, running stuff like the debugger is a pain.

vim is all i ever use!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back