Graphics
Nvidia GTX 670 FTW
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm planning on getting three 4TB drives for storage and I'm trying to decide between Western Digital Reds and Greens. My two biggest concerns are power efficiency, both idle an when in use, and noise. My build is very quiet and I'd like to limit how much more noise is added. My case is a Fractal Design R4.

One other question is with power, I have a 600W PSU but I'm wondering if it's enough? I have a Haswell 4670K (not overclocked but I'm planning on it) and an Nvidia GTX 670 FTW. I already have two SSDs installed for boot volumes plus 16 GB of RAM. Only three case fans, though.

I'm planning on getting three 4TB drives for storage and I'm trying to decide between Western Digital Reds and Greens. My two biggest concerns are power efficiency, both idle an when in use, and noise. My build is very quiet and I'd like to limit how much more noise is added. My case is a Fractal Design R4.

One other question is with power, I have a 600W PSU but I'm wondering if it's enough? I have a Haswell 4670K (not overclocked but I'm planning on it) and an Nvidia GTX 670 FTW. I already have two SSDs installed for boot volumes plus 16 GB of RAM. Only three case fans, though.

If you'll need 12 Tb of storage why not get a NAS to keep all those HDDs outside the case ?
If you go that route then get the WD Red. If not the Greens are ok, just not as a boot drive.

What brand PSU ? If it's one of the Gold rated ones (like in the Buyer's Guide) 600w should
be enough. You could go 50-150w higher if you'll overclock and/or add a second gfx card into
your build at sometime.

Why not a NAS? I actually have one but it's a pain to maintain and I'm considering moving everything into my main box. There's really not much of a downside for me as the files that I store there aren't ones that I access away from my computer.

Red for hardware RIAD, but what about something like ZFS? Same applies?

Why not a NAS? I actually have one but it's a pain to maintain and I'm considering moving everything into my main box. There's really not much of a downside for me as the files that I store there aren't ones that I access away from my computer.

Red for hardware RIAD, but what about something like ZFS? Same applies?

Reds are enterprise storage and are more reliable (supposed to be anyway) than mainstream drives like the greens.

Actually Reds are just WDs new line for NAS not enterprise, they still hav a seperate line for enterprise.

Reds are not just for NAS, more correct to say they are for RAID, in NAS or elsewhere, because (like the enterprise RAID drives) they have TLER enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back