Contribute
Register

Watch Today's Apple Event Live on any Mac, iOS Device, or Apple TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Watch Today's Apple Event Live on any Mac, iOS Device, or Apple TV!

what about this fusion drive will it work natively on macosx if you have an ssd and a hdd or you got to purchase one separately?

This "Fusion" Drive is nothing special. It is a Hybrid Hard Drive I think.....something that has been around for the past 2 years now from Seagate. Just a more powerful and roomy version I bet.

I could be wrong. Who knows.

I bet the Fusion drive is a special, new WDC drive

What a beautiful feat of engineering the new iMacs are!! WOW!!!

Sadly though, I called it....nVidia. Support for the 7000 series, and the upcoming 8000 series likely will never be supported. I doubt Apple will through an AMD gpu in their MacPro update as nothing in the new iMac and Macbook line use nVIDIA. Therefore....sigh....the 6970 HD will be the last high end Radeon that us Hackintosher's can use. My loyalty to ATi/AMD goes back years. Switching to nVidia is hard to swallow.... :(

I bet the Fusion drive is a special, new WDC drive

Phil said explicitly it was a purely software based solution. Meaning it is nothing more than 1 SSD and 1 HDD. Which makes sense considering you can't configure a Mac Mini with 2 1tb hdd's and have the fusion drive technology.

From what it seems and the info as you all know is scarce I am not sure if they have adopted Intel's SRT or created their own little setup. Intel's limit is 64GB but that doesn't mean Apple didn't get them to up that for them. Seeing as how Apple loves to do things their own way I would guess it is different than Intel's stuff. Either way It will be very interesting to see how this affects this community in the coming days.

What a beautiful feat of engineering the new iMacs are!! WOW!!!

Sadly though, I called it....nVidia. Support for the 7000 series, and the upcoming 8000 series likely will never be supported. I doubt Apple will through an AMD gpu in their MacPro update as nothing in the new iMac and Macbook line use nVIDIA. Therefore....sigh....the 6970 HD will be the last high end Radeon that us Hackintosher's can use. My loyalty to ATi/AMD goes back years. Switching to nVidia is hard to swallow.... :(

I wouldn't call it all lost just yet. The Mac Pro is due and every iteration of the Mac Pro with exception of the latest 2010+ models have all offered ATI and Nvidia options. When it has come to the Towers Apple has usually not taken a side. On the other products though it seems they pick the best vendor for the needs and stick with it for that product cycle. I am sure lots of things come into play for that but I bet a HUGE one is heat and since Kepler runs overall cooler than ATI stuff I bet that was the choosing factor. Well at the time of their development at least.

Well looks like this may just work out. Here is the Fusion Drive FAQ from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Aha:

Additional Information

Troubleshooting

The version of Disk Utility that comes with Fusion Drive is unique. Earlier versions of Disk Utility can't be used with a Fusion Drive.

So that version of Disk Utility should be in here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/287-apple-issues-special-os-x-10-8-2-update-new-macs.html

:thumbup:

Attachments

• HT5446_1-fusion-drive-001-en.png
    HT5446_1-fusion-drive-001-en.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 167
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back