Contribute
Register

Warning graphics incompatibility NVIDIA GTX960 Gaming G1! Windows 10, for now...

Is your system running with an NVIDIA GPU?

• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Yes but with problems

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Intel 530 (onboard)
Well, I've pretty much run out of time. I've been fiddling with my latest hack build on skylake for weeks, but there is absolutely nothing I can do to make it recognise my GPU and drive my high resolution screens. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to go the windows way as I need my monitors. Maybe an official skylake OS release will change things. I have tried:

- all possible bios settings
- all possible multibeast settings and definitions
- in combination with all possible clover settings and bootflags
- various system definitions (mac 3.1, 17.1 and others)
- Uninstalling nvidia web drivers and reinstalling them with and without the GPU fitted
- GPU in all available pci slots with all other pci slots empty to prevent possible conflicts
- Manually patching kexts
- combining with and without cudo drivers
- display cables, duals display cables, firewire cables, connected cables to adapters, etc

The card works fine in other computers and without drivers it runs monitors at 2560x1440. The graphics card shows as a 14mbh 41" screen. The card works fine in other rigs so it's not hardware related. I see some others with nvidia cards have been successful, so there's hope. However, for me nothing works. Still happy for pointers what on earth I can do to make my rig run, I like OSX so much more than windows and have most of my applications on OSX licenses.

My build is:
- GA Z170X UD5 TH
- Skylake I7
- Balistix Sport LT (2x8GB)
- Samsung evo ssd
- Nvidia GTX960 Gaming G1 (4GB)

For those who run lower resolution displays and do not do any gaming I would recommend the build, it is quick, sound, usb and everything else works a charm. However graphics is unfortunately as of yet not functioning.

I have two Nvidia Maxwell chipset graphics cards, GTX 750 Ti & 950, both run without any problems. Since some motherboards do not keep NVRAM, you have to have your config.plist modified to include the nvda_drv=1 in the boot arguments (see slim.jim's thread) and with Nvidia equal False (which is for older Nvidia cards like the 400 & 500 series).

Good afternoon Florian,

Thanks for the pointer. I've tried this... both nvda_drv=1 and add DTGP. But to no avail. I keep running into one of two problems. Either, I disable the nvda_drv in clover boot upon start-up or I get to a fuzzy login screen without a dialogue box.. Alternatively, I keep getting the card identified as a 14mb monitor and no higher resolution... Any idea what this could be?

Cheers

Your GPU is perfectly compatible with OS X. Just install the Web Drivers and enable them (boot flag: "nvda_drv=1").
In case you're using a Skylake SMBIOS, you'll also have to apply the AGDP patch. That's it.

I have two Nvidia Maxwell chipset graphics cards, GTX 750 Ti & 950, both run without any problems. Since some motherboards do not keep NVRAM, you have to have your config.plist modified to include the nvda_drv=1 in the boot arguments (see slim.jim's thread) and with Nvidia equal False (which is for older Nvidia cards like the 400 & 500 series).

Hi Stork,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not selected any nvidia and have not injected nvidia either. However, if I add nada_drv=1, the screen goes black halfway through the status bar under the apple logo upon booting after which it puts me on a fuzzy log-in screen without a dialogue box. I have tried almost everything I could find or think of, but there is not getting around it apparently. Might just be the particular combination of my components or something. Any suggestions welcome, would love for this to work!

PS. If I set nv_disable=1, I do bot to the main screen, however, my card is than displayed as an nvidia chip model 14mb which is stuck at low resolution.

Last edited:
Can you take a picture of that "fuzzy log-in screen without a dialogue box"?

Of course! Give me two minutes, I'll also get screenshots of the clover configurator.

Hmm, looks like it's all buggered now... I no longer get my any disks in my clover menu at start-up... Any idea what caused this? Start-up disk is simply gone...

Can you take a picture of that "fuzzy log-in screen without a dialogue box"?

No lover from the rig Florian. I just rebooted without the nv_disabled flag removed and I get into a clover screen without any start disks or way to boot. Looks like it is all stuffed now. Any idea on how to get this sorted? Looks to me like I need a new install. Might give that a miss though, I've spent days on trying to fix this and it is just getting to the point where the costs/benefits in terms of time spent and malfunctioning are no longer worth it. I've done 4 other mackintoshes, all had hiccups but were fixable. This one is just beyond me. Maybe I was just too optimistic or too early on skylake. Haha, or just not tech savvy enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back