Contribute
Register

[WARNING] Clover will break your REAL Mac, use with caution

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn't want to boot a real Mac with Clover - what's the point? - but you might do it by accident if you're not paying attention and don't label your USB sticks properly.
That’s the problem, Clover menu defaults to the system disk EFI so if you’re using a Mac to create a USB installer for a Hackintosh and Don’t catch the option to install to other drive (USB) it loads it on to the Mac EFI. The key is to catch it before you reboot.

This is one advantage of using Unibeast - it won't let you make that mistake.

That’s the problem, Clover menu defaults to the system disk EFI so if you’re using a Mac to create a USB installer for a Hackintosh and Don’t catch the option to install to other drive (USB) it loads it on to the Mac EFI. The key is to catch it before you reboot.

So just to be clear about this, Clover doesn't overwrite any files on the EFI partition on the system disk, it simply adds additional ones. So deleting the 3 Clover related files before rebooting means that nothing has changed.

Do I understand this correctly?

So just to be clear about this, Clover doesn't overwrite any files on the EFI partition on the system disk, it simply adds additional ones. So deleting the 3 Clover related files before rebooting means that nothing has changed.

Do I understand this correctly?
Yes, however there may also be a folder called EFI backups on the main drive in f you choose rc scripts option when loading.
If there is the original Apple files will be there so you can transfer those to the EFI to replace.

What about a USB that's had Clover legacy / BIOS installed on it, and hence has a MBR designed for old-style PC boot? Will a Mac not know what on earth that is, and provided it does not find the main Clover boot executable in the EFI folder, it won't do anything? Or will it see it and freak out?

What about a USB that's had Clover legacy / BIOS installed on it, and hence has a MBR designed for old-style PC boot? Will a Mac not know what on earth that is, and provided it does not find the main Clover boot executable in the EFI folder, it won't do anything? Or will it see it and freak out?
I guess it would likely depend on the year of the Mac? A little off topic because you can remove the USB to avoid booting with it.

I rather embarrassingly did this on my Mac Pro this evening by not paying attention and booting off the wrong USB stick, both of which said “EFI Boot” and were otherwise identical.

This screwed the Mac up royally and killed the display stone dead, even after recycling the power. I managed to get it back by resetting NVRAM and booting off a recovery USB stick, then reinstalling MacOS and restoring from backup.

Seriously, I can’t stress this enough - don’t even BOOT off a Clover USB on a real Mac.

I am stuck on restoring my hackintosh Mojave to real Mac Mini 2012 Late.

Restoring via Time machine and via migration assistant (via network) is no problem and mac mini will bootup succesfully until i for the first time run the software update on the Mac Mini. After install the security public update mac mini will not boot up and hangs by apple logo. I did nothing with clovers efi or wherever, everyting is copied to the mac mini. Not deleted de Clover or EFI drive or wherever..

Please help me where can i begin to solve this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back