Contribute
Register

[WARNING] Clover will break your REAL Mac, use with caution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what I have found in the last 24 hours, since I attempted to carbon copy my daughters MBP Retina to an old external HD and discovered it had Clover on the EFI partition. When I rebooted from that USB hard disk, it brick the MBPR. The only answer that I have found, is using CMIzapper's tool "Matt Card", you can google it or search youTube. I have not used any of his various tools, but, there he also sells EPROM firmware read, dump, and rewrite tools. I may have to try one for my daughter's MacBook Pro. I will note that some of his tools could possibly be used for nefarious purposes, but, for me its getting a legitimate MBPR back to running for my daughters college work.

I have a MacBook 6.1 and have used Clover to load El Capittan and Sierra. The key was to disable every option or injection. No DSDT fixes, power management, graphics etc... disable or uncheck every option and check you Symbios. Did anyone try disconnecting battery and power supply and removing the ram?
Please explain in detail how you installed Sierra on your Macbook 6.1. I have an OLDER Macbook 3.1 and wanted to use Clover to hackintosh my way to Sierra.

Please explain in detail how you installed Sierra on your Macbook 6.1. I have an OLDER Macbook 3.1 and wanted to use Clover to hackintosh my way to Sierra.

Create a USB with Install media and run clover to it. Use clover configurator app to mount the USB EFI and remove all drivers in Drivers 64, Drivers64EFI etc. Then open config.plist and remove all fixes in ACPI, Kernels and Kext patches (CPU power management). and uncheck everything else like audio etc. but the System DefInition. Choose a system def that works for you.

I have a MacBook 6.1 and have used Clover to load El Capittan and Sierra. The key was to disable every option or injection. No DSDT fixes, power management, graphics etc... disable or uncheck every option and check you Symbios. Did anyone try disconnecting battery and power supply and removing the ram?
So I did what you said in the post. Disabled ALL of Clover's injections patches in the config.plist file using Clover configurator, then, deleted all included kexts on the bootable drive (i.e. EFI/CLOVER/drivers32UEFI & EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folders). Booted up into Clover and PRESTO! It works! Took it a step further and actually, SUCCESSFULLY too, installed El Capitan on a MacBook 3,1. I did however have to install Intel GMX3000 graphics Kexts and Realtek Audio kexts to get it at 100%

Attachments

• IMG20180109-1058.jpg
    IMG20180109-1058.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 292
hi, I'm a newbie in mac and mistakenly install clover efi in my macbook pro 2011, now the system works erratically in some cases, unexpected reboots and other failures that are not common in a mac, my question is basically what is the How to erase or undo those changes and leave the mac running with a clean system? would it be enough to format the SSD or the problem goes beyond that? Is it possible that a software irretrievably breaks an element of hardaware as it is said in some forums in which it is ensured that the mac remains unusable after installing clover? I appreciate your response to these doubts.

hi, I'm a newbie in mac and mistakenly install clover efi in my macbook pro 2011, now the system works erratically in some cases, unexpected reboots and other failures that are not common in a mac, my question is basically what is the How to erase or undo those changes and leave the mac running with a clean system? would it be enough to format the SSD or the problem goes beyond that? Is it possible that a software irretrievably breaks an element of hardaware as it is said in some forums in which it is ensured that the mac remains unusable after installing clover? I appreciate your response to these doubts.
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...clover-on-a-real-mac-can-be-dangerous.229629/

Installed Clover on many 'real' macs- not sure what you guys are doing wrong----In addition to what people have said above in terms of spoofing mac models - I have used clover to test out features in Windows using a modified DSDT-- this is how I figured out how to get audio working on Windows 10 UEFI on a MBP 8,1. It makes sense to remove all fixes etc....but it still doesn't make sense how Clover could write to the boot rom --I don't think that causality has been fleshed out enough to say "Don't use Clover on a real Mac"

but it still doesn't make sense how Clover could write to the boot rom --I don't think that causality has been fleshed out enough to say "Don't use Clover on a real Mac"
Sounds like you're the perfect person to write a guide about how to properly use Clover on a real Mac. Then we can have real Mac owners use those guidelines to prevent all the problems that users are experiencing and reporting here.

Sounds like you're the perfect person to write a guide about how to properly use Clover on a real Mac. Then we can have real Mac owners use those guidelines to prevent all the problems that users are experiencing and reporting here.

I think a lot of people are doing it by mistake. If you carbon copy clone or do a USB to Sata install on a new drive and then open clover and NOT pay attention to the target disk it gets loaded on the Mac EFi partition by default. If you start or restart your Mac and see clover make sure to disable everything using the Clover Boot manager menu before hitting enter. The best option would be to remove the disk and edit/remove the Clover and Boot files from the EFI partition.

So I just did this to a Macbook Air (Early 2014) and I am pretty sure it is hosed. I can get to clover now with no SSD installed. Is anyone in the same boat having battery / charging and keyboard issues as well? When I boot to an OEM Mojave Installer, the Caps Lock and lowercase p willl not operate. Also, the battery is not charging. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back