Graphics
intel hd3000, radeon
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, guys. I would like to know what usb wi-fi adapter is compatible with Maverick on ProBook 4540s. I just dont want to open my laptop and insert PCI wi-fi.
And probably if there is no one, suggest working pci wifi.
Thank you!

upd
i have found some usb adapters, tell me if they are good:
[h=1]Asus USB-N13[/h]Asus USB-N10

Hi, guys. I would like to know what usb wi-fi adapter is compatible with Maverick on ProBook 4540s. I just dont want to open my laptop and insert PCI wi-fi.
And probably if there is no one, suggest working pci wifi.
Thank you!

I would recommend replacing the built-in one over using USB. The experience with USB WiFi is not good, compatible cards are inexpensive, and replacing the card is easy. Refer to the FAQ: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77058-faq-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

+1 on RehabMan's post, although if you *really* want an usb adapter you should check what chipset it has built in (wikidevi is a good source of information for this). I had (still have actually but I'm not using it) Asus USB-N10 and it worked just fine (didn't have any connection drops, speed and range were satisfactory). However, in order to establish a network connection you've got to use an "external" app for it (the adapter isn't recognized as an AirPort card and thus the OSX doesn't recognize it). It is bundled with the adapter on a CD but you can download a newer version from realtek drivers site (it's RTL8188SU if I remember correctly).

I have a couple of USB WiFi devices (RTL8192CU based). See here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-lapt...1-mac-os-x-new-install-help-6.html#post757701

The experience is not good:
- you can't use the built-in OS X facilities for connecting to APs
- often times, you must re-connect manually after sleep
- annoying message pops up after sleep
- often times, you must re-connect on reboot

Other than that, they work. I'm using them no on a Lenovo U430 that I have yet to replace the built-in WiFi (BIOS whitelist may be an issue), but as soon as I can, I will try to replace these USB WiFi parts with a built-in part.

On a ProBook 4x40s where there is no whitelist, it is a no-brainer: you should just replace the card.

Ok, I understand, thanks for your replies!

External USB wifi units are notorious for breaking sleep and causing system freezes and other complications. If possible, just get a compatible internal card and save yourself the trouble. I only used the external units until I got my replacement. After that, all it does is sit on my desk collecting dust. Of course, it serves as an emergency fix in case my internal card decides not to cooperate.

PS I have used the TP-LINK TL-WN823N (RTL8192CU based) and the Sabrent USB-A11N (RTL8188CU based). Each site has the specific drivers you need to install them under Mac OS. Their performances are acceptable; but, I like the Sabrent better for its smaller size (nano).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back