3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just want to share this...

Well, I have 16GB on my Hack and sleep/wake is working fine.

I decided to upgrade to 32GB, and all of a sudden I'm having wake-up issues.... not successful in waking up, monitor black, and just dead.

I have (4) pcs of RAM, bought at 2 separate times as a pair. The brand/model# are supposedly compatible with my Gigabyte motherboard. All 4 pcs are the same brand/model#/timing and the only difference is the version number printed on the label.

So I tried some experiments, and putting in 16GB in the system, trying out the 2 sets of RAM. And I can reproduce the problem consistently!

Looking closely at the RAM, I noticed the problem RAM (i.e. the ones that wouldn't wake up the computer from sleep) has version 3.29 which I bought from Amazon as New.

The good RAM (that always consistently wake up computer from sleep, even after long hours of sleep) has version 3.24, which I bought used from eBay.

So... I guess I'll be running at 16GB for now while I try to sell this version 3.29 RAM.

LESSON: Sometimes, sleep/wakeup problems is not an OSX installation problem, not a kext related problem, or software problem. Sometimes, it's just being unlucky with some RAM version number. So just because you have same brand, same memory model#, and in the recommended list by the manufacturer, does not mean you'll have 100% problem free system.

Interesting.... Thanks for the info.

if you put this into terminal it will output the reason for wake now the Blake screen wake up problem you should add darkwake=0 to your boot args to see if it fixes it
Code:
log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

if you put this into terminal it will output the reason for wake

It's not even waking up successfully with this particular RAM (version 3.29 in my case). The fans turn on, but the monitor is dead, and trying to connect remotely to the machine (Screen Sharing) shows it didn't come back from sleep.

I bought a new RAM, same model# but version 7.21 this time. I'll update this thread if this fixes the problem.

All is well again. Sold my version 3.29 Corsair Vengeance RAM and bought another set of RAM. This time, I got version 2.21 of the same model/brand of RAM.

Happy to say Wake up works consistently without any problems again... running at 32GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back