Contribute
Register

Wake problems on Mountain Lion (GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3-F4 & nVidia 560 Ti)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 (UEFI)
CPU
i5 2400
Graphics
GTX 560 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hi !

I had sleep/wake working for some time on Lion, when it suddenly stopped working. I didn't care back then. But now, I did a clean install of Mountain Lion on my rig, and sleep works, but on wake, none of my two monitors wake. I don't even know if the OS is awake or not. :evil: So I Wanted to know if anybody has the same problem as mine, and if someone could help me out, or redirect me to a solution already posted (haven't found an existing one that works for me)

I have the darkwake=0 flag, and my rig is (normally) explained in my signature.

Thanks for helping,
Clovel

Have you tried installing SleepEnabler.kext?

To determine if your machine is really awake but the monitors are off, you can enable remote access in the Sharing control panel, then try to ssh in to your Mac from another machine. Obviously if this is not something you are familiar with, first figure it out without introducing sleep as a variable. Once you can successfully ssh in from another machine, THEN put the box to sleep, THEN wake it up, THEN try to ssh back in.

The darkwake=0 kernel flag is supposed to fix the issue with Lion and ML that, after a machine goes to sleep and wakes, it's screen does not come on but it should still respond to ssh and bonjour requests. In your case I suspect that your machine is not waking up and that you will not be able to ssh in even tho the machine seems to have sort of woken back up because the fans and drives start spinning again.

The solution to this issue has always been (for me) to install SleepEnabler.kext. Might also want to make sure you're using a DSDT from the DSDT database. Sometimes you need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, sometimes you don't, so that's another thing to try adding or removing.

Finally, be sure that you're using a technique that rebuilds the kext cache files after you make changes to /S/L/E or /E/E.

Hi, and thanks for responding !!

I tried installing SleepEnabler.kext, and got a KP. (Wierd thing is that by booting with my Unibeast bootloader, I Didn't get any KP... :banghead:)
Maybe it was a 32 bit kext. Ill try finding a 64 bit. I install kexts with Kextbeast. I don't know what "cache-rebuilding technique" you're talking about, can you tell me more about it ?

Also, no VNC, ARD 3.6 or ssh possible on wake, looks like it's frozen on wake. :thumbdown: Also, CMOS reset. I thought I had the AppleRTC-or-something-like-that.kext, i'll have to check for it.

Can you clarify the utility of darkwake=x flag please, I'm still confused on it's significance and options. :?:

Thanks anyhow,
Clovel

Sounds like need "Repost video on S3 resume" set in your BIOS, or whatever it's equivalent is for your machine.

SleepEnabler.kext is very finicky, be sure you are using a SleepEnabler.kext for your OS version. Allegedly if you're using the TonyMac86 DSDT for your board you shouldn't need SleepEnabler, it's just something to try. The whole sleep/wake/WOL thing is arcane black magic to me, and whenever I get my system working the way I want it I breathe a sigh of relief and vow to never change a thing ever. But yes, if you use the wrong SleepEnabler.kext you'll get a KP.

There are a billion ways to rebuild your kext cache. You can use myfix, Multibeast, command line, etc. I just put that in there to prompt you to double-check your work.

As for darkwake, my understanding is this. In Lion, Apple introduced a sleep "middle step" where the CPU was powered up but the video card and drives are not. The idea is that the CPU can periodically wake up and respond to bonjour and network requests. This is darkwake=1. By putting darkwake=0, you're telling the OS to ignore this middle step and when awoken, go to fully awake.

I don't have acces to my Hackintosh this W-E, but before leaving, i had a problem trying out some SleepEnabler.kext found on the web. I had KP's. The wierd thing is, when booting with the Unibeast Bootloader on my "Hackintosh HDD", I don't get any KP's... Some bootflag must be interfering with the SleepEnabler.kext's I found on the web.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm considering the UEFI on 6-series upgrade. I saw Tonymac's article on front page saying that the GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 can be upgraded to UEFI and that the Sleep/wake issues are fixed ! Plan B is already prepared !

I'm going to wait a little feedback and results on experimented builders/hackintoshers. I'm a good builder, but no software expert... :confused:

@Westy, I haven't seen that option ! As soon as I get to my desk, be assured that I will try. I'll update this post when I do. This is surely something that I'm going to look after before going UEFI !! :) Definetly mu Plan A

Thanks for your answers !!! :thumbup:

PS : If anybody has a Plan C or Plan D, I'd greatly appreciate it ! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back