Contribute
Register

Wake On Lan (WOL) with onboard ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wlp5 said:
Just fixed it myself the other day on a UD2 too. The option is not there and I'm using the new beta ethernet driver. Wakes from both sleep and shut down. Works both from local network and internet.
Is this Lin2Mac's beta driver? How did you install it? (I'm new to mod, so I'll need the recipe step-by-step. Didn't see it in beta driver thread.) TIA.

Instructions are here. But I'm not sure it's needed for WOL, it justs works better overall. Getting WOL set up is a little more involved, google for guides. You don't have to do anything in OSX, you need some application to send the packet (I use one on my iphone) and then you need to setup your router to forward the packet to the right destination. Also, you'd need one of the free DNS services to know your IP from away.

wlp5, thanks for the link to Lin2Mac's blog. I read it before, but I didn't remember.

I've running 64 bit with the Realtek drivers that were in MultiBeast 2.2.4 (I think). When I put my Hackintosh to sleep, I can't wake my Hackintosh running Screen Sharing (Mac's built in VNC) from another Mac on my home network.

I can wake my other sleeping Macs with another Mac using Screen Sharing. No special application running on these sleeping Macs. The System Preferences/Sharing's Remote Login box checked.

So, I'm stumped. Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing that the other macs have WOL setup correctly and that is sent before starting a VNC session. We're talking real sleep, not just the screen off, right?

WOL works by sending a special packet on UDP port 9 (usually called a magic packet). Start by installing lnx2mac's driver following his instructions, if anything it doesn't seem to hurt things. Then go into your bios and make sure any option related to WOL in on. That should do it from within your local network. Use a WOL app like this one (I just googled it, I haven't tried it myself) from another computer in your local network to test it.

I've experienced the same thing as Stork, but I am able to WOL using an iPhone app. It seems that whatever port Screen Sharing/VNC sends it's packet over is not the one that the board needs/wants. The iPhone app, on the other hand, seems to do the trick.

wlp5 said:
I'm guessing that the other macs have WOL setup correctly and that is sent before starting a VNC session. We're talking real sleep, not just the screen off, right?

WOL works by sending a special packet on UDP port 9 (usually called a magic packet). Start by installing lnx2mac's driver following his instructions, if anything it doesn't seem to hurt things. Then go into your bios and make sure any option related to WOL in on. That should do it from within your local network. Use a WOL app like this one (I just googled it, I haven't tried it myself) from another computer in your local network to test it.
I used that Wake on Lan application and it works great.

wlp5 said:
Just fixed it myself the other day on a UD2 too. The option is not there and I'm using the new beta ethernet driver. Wakes from both sleep and shut down. Works both from local network and internet.
First, how did you get it to work? Is it because you use the WOL app which you mentioned above. When I built my (1st) Hackintosh in early September, I used the drivers in MultiBeast at that time. Did you use another driver or is it due to the WOL app? (TIA for any help you can give me.)

Second, it wakes from shut down, too?! I can't get my Macs to do that. Is this something to do with the P55M-UD2 MB? If your Hackintosh can wake from shutdown due the MB design...well, wow! This can be a game changer, at least for me.

BTW, thanks to you guys for providing these insights. I've learned so much about the Hackintosh workings in the past two weeks from the info you have provided. Keep up the conversations. I won't be able to check the BIOS settings until late next week when I have access to my Hackintosh. I'll report on my experiences then.

We're just talking about the ethernet driver. Install lnx2mac's driver. The instructions are there on his blog post.

Yes, mine wakes from shut down too and I'm guessing yours will too since we have the same mb.

Just check the bios and report back if you don't get it.

EDIT: Actually, your BIOS is most probably fine. Just run the application mentioned above from another computer. You might have to run it with the "mac" running first for it to detect it on the network.

Update Something had been bothering me as I've interacted in this thread. It's the "why can I wake my Macs on my home network and these guys can't w/o the WOL app?"

So, using Google Mac (searches only Mac related sites), I found a very interesting article on MacWorld's site. My home network uses an Apple Time Capsule as the wireless router. As the article points out, recent Apple Base Stations and Snow Leopard work together, using Bonjour, to allow recent Macs to wake on network access. That's why I remember that my Macs wake up with Screen Sharing. (I also have the Mac's Sharing Preference options for Remote Login & Remote Management enabled.)

Now, I (think) know why I can wake up sleeping Macs. But I have to solve why my Hackintosh can't be waked up from sleep. I now think it might be the Ethernet driver.

Hope this helps.

Stork said:
Update Something had been bothering me as I've interacted in this thread. It's the "why can I wake my Macs on my home network and these guys can't w/o the WOL app?"

So, using Google Mac (searches only Mac related sites), I found a very interesting article on MacWorld's site. My home network uses an Apple Time Capsule as the wireless router. As the article points out, recent Apple Base Stations and Snow Leopard work together, using Bonjour, to allow recent Macs to wake on network access. That's why I remember that my Macs wake up with Screen Sharing. (I also have the Mac's Sharing Preference options for Remote Login & Remote Management enabled.)

Now, I (think) know why I can wake up sleeping Macs. But I have to solve why my Hackintosh can't be waked up from sleep. I now think it might be the Ethernet driver.

Hope this helps.
Do you have Enable Wake on LAN configured in the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back