Gigabyte Geforce GTX 750 TI
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

I just finished my first build, and (after some tinkering) got my system up and running using UniBeast/MultiBeast. The only issue I am still having is the wake event.

My system goes to sleep normally according to my configuration in system preferences (i.e., display goes to sleep after _ minutes and computer goes to sleep [fans turn off] after _ minutes). I am able to wake it normally using my USB keyboard/mouse from display sleep. However, if the computer has gone to sleep, my keyboard/mouse has no effect. I can get to the login screen by pressing the power button once, but then the system is frozen: the keyboard and mouse have no effect (although if I attempt to wake quickly after it sleeps, the cursor moves and I get :beachball:). There is power to my keyboard/mouse (the mouse LED comes on), but nothing happens when I use them.

I have browsed the forums, and have not found a solution. It appears that people were having a similar problem on 10.10.1, but it was an apple bug. None of the fixes proposed there worked for me. I tried tinkering with "darkwake = _" in Boot.plist, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

I have tried to ssh into my system from my laptop (macbook pro) while it is in this frozen state, but I get a message saying that the server is not provided or not known. This tells me that my problem isn't merely a USB issue.

My motherboard is an msi Z97 PC Mate, and I have attached my current org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    749 bytes · Views: 257
My system sometimes will not wake from anything but the power button. I eventually realised this was if I had run another OS, e.g. Win partition. The only way to enable the keyboard again for wake was to switch the computer off at the wall and boot fresh. May not be related to your issue.

I have ceased having any sleep/wake issues with freezing by disabling all energy saving settings. I just manually sleep/wake and this is working hunky dory.

Now if only I could stop the random freezes I get every few hours of use!

I have ceased having any sleep/wake issues with freezing by disabling all energy saving settings. I just manually sleep/wake and this is working hunky dory.

I would be perfectly happy with this solution... unfortunately it freezes on manual sleep too.

I came up with a workaround which works for my purposes, but is still not ideal.

TL;DR - Use hibernation instead of sleep at the cost of slower wake times; I'd still love help!

In sleep mode, OSX keeps power to RAM, and powers everything else down to its lowest state. Since I can't wake from sleep mode, I tried avoiding sleep mode altogether. OSX has another low-power mode available called hibernate mode. Macbooks and anything with a battery will go into hibernate mode whenever the battery gets too low. The difference between hibernate mode and sleep mode is that OSX takes what is currently on your RAM, stores a copy to your boot drive (the file is /private/var/vm/sleepimage), and powers everything down. You can switch everything to hibernate mode using the following terminal command:

sudo pmset hibernatemode 25

Now if I select sleep from the menu bar, my machine goes into hibernate mode. If I set my energy-saver setting to "put computer to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity," my machine will go into hibernate mode after 15 minutes. And so on...

The downside here is that the system completely shuts down. The only difference between this and a regular shutdown is that USB ports stay open (so I can boot by tapping my keyboard), and when it boots, it will load whatever is in /private/var/vm/sleepimage to RAM, effectively restoring what I was doing before. Since I have a solid state drive as my boot drive, boots are pretty quick (less than 1 minute), and there is no extra waiting for applications etc. to load once the boot is complete.

I can use this in conjunction with display sleep to make my life pretty simple. I'll set my display to go to sleep after 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity, and set my machine to go into hibernation after 15 or 20 minutes of inactivity.

Now I would prefer a true sleep (i.e., I'd like to be able to tap the keyboard and be ready to go in a matter of seconds), but this works for now. I have read a couple posts here and there that people have had these problems using chameleon/chimera, but not with clover. So the next thing I'm going to do is try a clover setup (instructions here) and see if the problem persists. In the meantime, I'd still love any suggestions for solving my problem!

What system definition are you using? I had problems with waking where the system would wake up (fans spinning), but not the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Had to use a hard reset. After I changed my system definition from 3,1 to 14,2 I never had a problem with sleep/wake again.

FYI, I only manually sleep my system. Otherwise it is set to never sleep.

I am indeed using 3,1 and your problem sounds a lot like mine! I'll give it a shot later (I'm not at home right now) and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back