Motherboard
16" MobileStudio Pro 250GB
CPU
i5-6267U
Graphics
Iris 550 / Quadro 600M - 3840x2160
Mac
  1. MacBook Air

***To any mods, if I have placed this thread in the wrong location I do apologies for doing so***

Hey y'all. I have been trying to get some form of a hackintosh for my MobileStudio and I'm finally making progress.

This is my first hackintosh project that doesn't have a guide to follow so all of this is really new to me and I'm pretty much going into this blind. I also am doing this in my spare time so any extra help to making this a more stable and complete system will be greatly appreciated.

Images of pen and touch working and clover are down at the bottom

My Mobile Studio Specs:
16" 250GB Variant
Skylake i5-6267U Insyde McCallen
Intel Iris 550 / Nvidia Quadro 600M - 3840x2160
8GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

So now that you have my specs, just as a warning your experience can be different from mine depending on you model.

I currently have Mac OS X 10.13.6 installed on an external SSD until I can get it working closer to 100%

What you will need:
  • External HDD/SSD
  • A USB C to USB A 3.0/2.0 HUB
  • A Flash Drive at least 8Gb (USB 3.0 makes things a lot faster)
  • MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Installer
  • USB keyboard and Mouse
  • Unibeast 8.3.2
  • Multibeast 10.4.0
  • Clover Configurator 5.2.0.01
  • Latest Wacom Drivers for Mac

Getting Started on the Wacom:
  1. Get to the secure boot settings by spamming esc during startup and selecting Administer Secure Boot when the bios front page shows up
  2. Disable everything applicable unless its already disabled save changes and exit.
  3. Enter the Bios Setup Utility and change:
    1. DVMT Pre-Allocated to 128MB or Higher
    2. UEFI OS Fast Boot to Disabled (I did this for safe measure)
Creating the USB Installer:
  1. Create the usb bootable installer for High Sierra 10.13.6
    1. Go here for help on that -> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
  2. Use Unibeast to create the clover boot entry:
    1. UEFI Boot Mode
    2. Skip ATI and NVIDIA Injection
  3. Copy over Clover Configurator, Wacom Driver, and Multibeast onto the USB
Installing Mac OS X: (you will need a mouse and keyboard. Might be able to get away with the mouse as pen is natively supported without modification)
  1. Enter the boot manger by spamming esc on startup. Select Boot Manager > ~The name of your Installation Media~
  2. Boot into clover and select the installer USB and pray it works.
  3. If successful, format your external HDD/SSD to GPT and HFS+ (Mac OS Journal)
    1. ****Remember the name of your new disk for when booting into it in clover****
  4. Once successfully formatted begin the install for High Sierra. When computer reboots keep installation usb still plugged in and return back to the clover boot menu.
  5. When your computer reboots (which will happen several times), spam esc on startup, go back into boot manager, and select the Installation Disk Again.
  6. This time select the new Disk that you just installed High Sierra to and continue on with the installation.
  7. If installation is successful the next time you boot into the new Disk you should be presented with the setup walk-through.
  8. Complete the walkthrough
  9. Drag Multibeast and Clover Configurator into a location you will have easy time accessing.
  10. Open Multibeast and select and install the following (like I previously stated I'm going in blind so some of these might not be needed)
    1. Drivers >Disk> Intel Generic AHCI SATA
    2. Drivers > Misc > Core Graphics Fixup aka WhateverGreen ***This is needed***
    3. Drivers > USB > USBInjectAll ***this allows touch support and quick keys, so very important***
    4. Drivers > USB > 3rd Party USB 3.0
    5. Drivers > USB > 7/8/9 Series USB Support
  11. Open Clover Configurator and mount the EFI partition to the bootable usb and the EFI to the Disk with High Sierra installed (which in my case it was empty).
  12. Copy the efi folder from the installer usb over to the High Sierra Disk. From this point on you don't need the usb installer to get into clover.
  13. Install the Wacom Drivers and reboot and you should be good to go...somewhat.
Getting Graphic Acceleration to work (For the Iris 550)

*This is how I got mine working which took quite a bit to figure out with incorrect combination kexts and bad values that kept leading to panics or boots that wouldn't finish. With the kext installed from above and properly editing the values below according to your graphics card you should be good.*

*Ill also be including my entire clover folder for those who want to take a look*

1. Open the config.plist file in Clover Configure.
  2. Go to Devices > IntelGFX > Enter 0x19268086
  3. Go to Graphics > ig-platform-id > Enter 0x19270000
  4. Make sure Graphics > Inject Intel is selected.
  5. Save the config and reboot
  6. Hope that Graphic Acceleration is working

***Not everything has been tested out so there could be more or less working. I'll add to the lists as I go***
What Works So Far:
  • Multi touch support - thanks to USBInjectAll.kext
  • Pen Support - works natively without any modification
  • Bluetooth
  • Graphic Acceleration - *Your Mileage May Very*
  • Quick Keys - Thanks to Wacom Drivers
  • All RAM is now seen - Follow How to Fix RAM
  • Battery Stats - Can be fixed using ACPIBatteryManager.kext
  • Front Camera
  • Brightness Control - Honestly don't know how (should be fixed in clover-1.1.zip)
  • Sound - Thanks to VoodooHDA kext (See how to fix audio)
What Doesn't Work:
  • Volume and Auto-Rotate Keys
  • Manual Put to Sleep - a graphic glitch happens then goes back to the desktop
  • Waking up from Sleep - I see disk activity put display is black with not even a backlight
  • WIFI- Will never work since its intel. Get a dongle or get a heat gun, screwdriver, a guitar pick, and some double sided tape and prepare to brake open this baby. *Already did it once to change the thermal paste might have to go ahead and do it again to change the wifi card so if it does come down to that Ill make a video.*
  • Nvidia Quadro - only applies to 16" Mobile Studio Pro
  • There is probably a lot more to this list that I have not tested or I can't test because of differences in hardware
  • Rear Camera
  • Im not sure if power management is working or cpu stepping is working as at 100% my battery will last only for two hours
How to Fix RAM
  1. Go into Windows task Manager and check the number of slots occupied.
  2. Boot into your Mac partition and open Clover Configurator
  3. Based on the amount of Physical Memory you have available to the amount of slots occupied due some basic math and find out how much memory each slot contains
  4. Go to SMBIOS and add the memory beginning from slot 0 going up. I have 2 slots occupied out of 4 and 8Gb of ram. I'm not sure if ram capacity changes with other models or if they all stay at 4Gb each slot. Vendor name is not important as I just put the name "Ram" in mine and it worked
  5. Set channels to Dual Channels and the amount of SlotCount to 4

How to Fix Audio (ALC286)
  1. Download VoodooHDA.kext from https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/
  2. Place kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
  3. Using Clover Configurator open up your config.plist
  4. Go to Devices > Audio > Inject = 3
  5. ResetHDA and AFGLowPowerState are unchecked
  6. Reboot and sound should work
Untitled.png

20180923_160257.jpg

Disassembly Video:
The video keeps getting marked as spam so here is the link

youtu.be/Oh3DCzVayIs

***UPDATES***
October 11, 2018
*clover-1.1.zip
Trying to go more vanilla just using the clover installer and somehow I fixed my brightness so new clover.zip is uploaded and hopefully others will see the same results.

I did clear any cpu power management and gpu values in the config.plist values to not cause conflict with other hardware.​

Attachments

• clover.zip
    3 MB · Views: 292
  • 20180923_154924.jpg
    20180923_154924.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 703
  • 20180923_154938.jpg
    20180923_154938.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 686
  • 20180923_154951.jpg
    20180923_154951.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 707
  • clover-1.1.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Incredible. I never thought I would see the day someone actually managed to grt it to work. You know, I've been trying to get MacOS working on my 13" model for the day it started shipping?

How did you open it up? It's a total mystery to me! I got MacOS working a few weeks ago but at the end it failed (I never got the graphics card to work properly)

Now I will try to do it like you did. Hopefully it works just like your project. But I'll use an SD card instead :)

Incredible. I never thought I would see the day someone actually managed to grt it to work. You know, I've been trying to get MacOS working on my 13" model for the day it started shipping?

How did you open it up? It's a total mystery to me! I got MacOS working a few weeks ago but at the end it failed (I never got the graphics card to work properly)

Now I will try to do it like you did. Hopefully it works just like your project. But I'll use an SD card instead :)
Yeah it was a pain in the rear for a long time since before High Sierra it would always crash because of some kext error.

Taking it apart was one of the most scary moments for me since its unibody. To get to the components you got to remove the rubber pads at the bottom unscrew the display and use a heat gun to ease the removal prying off the display. You will need a heat gun as there is a lot of adhesive holding the pads down especially the larger one. The larger also contains four clips that got to be carefully dealt with. They are small but they brake pretty easily.

I'm going to be redoing the LM TIM on my cpu and gpu probably this weekend and will probably swap the wifi card from my MacBook Air into it if it will fit so I will record the process and upload it.

The only thing I got recently working was the brightness but I got to check on how I got it and update the guide and clover zip

In the picture:
Blue - Area of adhesive
Red: Two screws covered under film that are very easy to overlook
Yellow general location of the clips

Edit: Add updated clover zip that should fix brightness. I don't know how it got fixed but I take it had something to do when I tried to go more vanilla and only used the clover installer instead of any TonyMac tools, but I can't be too sure. I uploaded a new zip containing my entire clover folder

Attachments

• Inked20181011_173034[2328]_LI (2).jpg
    Inked20181011_173034[2328]_LI (2).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,100
Last edited:
Just a forewarning the mobile studios only takes a b-key or m&b-key m.2 so anything that is an m-key wont fit. Learned that the hard way yesterday and my 970 evo wont fit but no harm done now got an 860 on the way.

Welp just took a part my wacom today and installed an 860 evo and im happy about the results compared to the stock m.2.

Video should be up later in the week on how to take it apart
20181014_151011.jpg

Wow I'm stunned. The new SSD is so much faster? I still have to do all of that. I hadn't had any time recently. :/

And you made a video on how to open it up? I'm really excited! :D

Sorry I have been dragging serious butt when it comes to editing and uploading the video. School just does that. I'll try and finish editing it soon and upload it. Sorry again i know its been a while since I put focus back on the project

No problem, I waited almost two years... I can wait a bit longer for something like that ;)

Alrighty the video is up youtu.be/Oh3DCzVayIs

Wow thank you so much! And you made a video so long too! Finally I know what's inside my own computer LOL

I was actually thinking about asking in the airport if someone could xray it for me so I have a look lol

I have to rewatch it later today. After you switched the ssd, what did you install? Windows or macOS? I was wondering if macOS would work good enough to be a daily driver (at least on the mobilestudio)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back