Graphics
MSI N750TI-2GD5/OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've had my 4730s for a while (details in my sig), all running perfectly with SwitchResX controlling 1600x900, finally made the leap for 1080p a couple of weeks ago - beautiful screen, seemed to work out the box, so I disabled SwitchResX and shut it down. Turn it on yesterday - my screen is all out of whack, exactly as in the first post in http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/81379-1080p-screen-issue.html

Well, nothing to worry about, right? Install SwitchResX back, alas it won't save settings anymore for whatever reason, just seems completely borked. It does display 1900x1080 in the list of possible resolutions, even has it selected, but the screen is still.. well, I don't even know what resolution it is, but it's very wrong... if I switch to 1600x900 and then back to 1900x1080, it becomes normal till next reboot. Later discovered that I can do the same via Display Properties, selecting "scaled", so SwitchResX seems irrelevant.

Search the forum, results seem promising: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-or-wrong-resolution-laptop-display-problems/

Alright, red flag came when in Step 7 my IODisplayEDID was exactly the same as in Step 4.... could be due to my messing with SwitchResX? Regardless, trying this method didn't solve anything for me. (Still, there was some confusion, so I am not ruling out operator error - first, there was already a folder named "DisplayVendorID-daf" that matched what it's supposed to be in my case, as well as which DisplayProductID to use exactly - but I'm pretty sure I got them both correctly, at least after different variations).

Now I recall I have a custom dsdt.aml created long ago... per RehabMan's instructions "If you ever make a hardware change or update the BIOS, you should re-patch your DSDT" in his generous post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

- removed my dsdt, installed his Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml to /Extra/ssdt-1.aml. Now we're getting somewhere - for the first time, it was able to boot with a seemingly correct resolution, albeit no WiFi, battery, etc. Alas, generating a new DSDT with either MaciASL (RehabMan's patches) or the freshly downloaded ProBook Installer yielded essentially the same results - back to the wacky screen on reboot. Removing these "new" dsdt's didn't seem to help, as now even with just ssdt-1.aml I still get the stretched screen, unlike at the beginning of this paragraph :(

As some others before me, it clearly feels that this must be some EDID issue, considering it CAN be temporarily corrected within display properties, so I'd like to ask anyone who's been through this upgrade before - what am I doing wrong? Any opinions appreciated.

I've had my 4730s for a while (details in my sig), all running perfectly with SwitchResX controlling 1600x900, finally made the leap for 1080p a couple of weeks ago - beautiful screen, seemed to work out the box, so I disabled SwitchResX and shut it down. Turn it on yesterday - my screen is all out of whack, exactly as in the first post in http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/81379-1080p-screen-issue.html

Well, nothing to worry about, right? Install SwitchResX back, alas it won't save settings anymore for whatever reason, just seems completely borked. It does display 1900x1080 in the list of possible resolutions, even has it selected, but the screen is still.. well, I don't even know what resolution it is, but it's very wrong... if I switch to 1600x900 and then back to 1900x1080, it becomes normal till next reboot. Later discovered that I can do the same via Display Properties, selecting "scaled", so SwitchResX seems irrelevant.

Search the forum, results seem promising: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-or-wrong-resolution-laptop-display-problems/

Alright, red flag came when in Step 7 my IODisplayEDID was exactly the same as in Step 4.... could be due to my messing with SwitchResX? Regardless, trying this method didn't solve anything for me. (Still, there was some confusion, so I am not ruling out operator error - first, there was already a folder named "DisplayVendorID-daf" that matched what it's supposed to be in my case, as well as which DisplayProductID to use exactly - but I'm pretty sure I got them both correctly, at least after different variations).

Now I recall I have a custom dsdt.aml created long ago... per RehabMan's instructions "If you ever make a hardware change or update the BIOS, you should re-patch your DSDT" in his generous post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

- removed my dsdt, installed his Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml to /Extra/ssdt-1.aml. Now we're getting somewhere - for the first time, it was able to boot with a seemingly correct resolution, albeit no WiFi, battery, etc. Alas, generating a new DSDT with either MaciASL (RehabMan's patches) or the freshly downloaded ProBook Installer yielded essentially the same results - back to the wacky screen on reboot. Removing these "new" dsdt's didn't seem to help, as now even with just ssdt-1.aml I still get the stretched screen, unlike at the beginning of this paragraph :(

As some others before me, it clearly feels that this must be some EDID issue, considering it CAN be temporarily corrected within display properties, so I'd like to ask anyone who's been through this upgrade before - what am I doing wrong? Any opinions appreciated.

Did you try booting with:
"Graphics Mode"=1920x1080x32

(Note: yes, you must type the quotes)

This can be added, if it works, to your /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist:
Code:
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1920x1080x32</string>

Thanks so much, RehabMan, I was so sure that I had that, I failed to check! To my surprise, trying it worked, so I now have correct resolution! I noticed that for some reason someone mentioned that simply setting Graphics Mode was "not perfect", would you know why they thought that?

A couple other questions:

1) Is it now safe to build a new dsdt with your patches? Speaking of which, in your github instructions it says "Extracting your native/clean DSDT using MaciASL" without specifying exactly how it's done - I imagine simply because the native DSDT is already there by default when you open MaciASL, correct?

2) After generating my new custom dsdt, should I delete your mini-ssdt? (this is not specified as well).

Of course, I'll just play with both of these, but it might be useful for the record if someone else runs into this, as I'm apparently not the first, likely not the last lol.

Thanks again, man!

Thanks so much, RehabMan, I was so sure that I had that, I failed to check! To my surprise, trying it worked, so I now have correct resolution! I noticed that for some reason someone mentioned that simply setting Graphics Mode was "not perfect", would you know why they thought that?

A couple other questions:

1) Is it now safe to build a new dsdt with your patches? Speaking of which, in your github instructions it says "Extracting your native/clean DSDT using MaciASL" without specifying exactly how it's done - I imagine simply because the native DSDT is already there by default when you open MaciASL, correct?

Yes and Yes. You could also patch your DSDT simply by using the ProBook Installer.

2) After generating my new custom dsdt, should I delete your mini-ssdt? (this is not specified as well).

I leave the mini SSDT in /Extra/ssdt-1.aml on my HDD/SSD. It allows me to boot DSDT=Null if I want to. And it does no harm in the normal case (because GFX0 has been renamed to IGPU in a patched DSDT).

You are the best, RehabMan! I have my system back, now on to Mavericks!

Some observations for those interested:

Patching with MaciASL produced a graphics glitch in top left corner, and the system froze completely upon second reboot. Third one was ok, but I got another glitch in the middle of the screen, at which point I removed the dsdt and re-patched with Probook Installer.

Note that while the MaciASL method retains the "graphics mode" key in org.chameleon.boot.plist, Probook Installer doesn't, so I got the stretched screen again, but now knowing the issue, the fix was quick and easy.

You are the best, RehabMan! I have my system back, now on to Mavericks!

Some observations for those interested:

Patching with MaciASL produced a graphics glitch in top left corner, and the system froze completely upon second reboot. Third one was ok, but I got another glitch in the middle of the screen, at which point I removed the dsdt and re-patched with Probook Installer.

Note that while the MaciASL method retains the "graphics mode" key in org.chameleon.boot.plist, Probook Installer doesn't, so I got the stretched screen again, but now knowing the issue, the fix was quick and easy.

FYI: Patching with MaciASL and the ProBook Installer are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back