CPU
i9-9900
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext causes instant wake. How to fix? Details below. Thank you.
SOLUTION IS HERE.

EDIT: This instant wake problem is observed with Acidanthera VoodooPS2Controller.kext versions 2.2.2 and 2.1.8. I do not experience this problem if I install RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller.kext version 1.9.2, October 8, 2018. I strongly suspect that this is my error with the way I'm installing / injecting kexts.

I'm using Acidenthera's version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext and plugins VoodooPS2Input.kext, VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext and VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext for the first time. If I enable VoodooPS2Controller.kext and plugins VoodooPS2Input.kext, VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext (without VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext), my rig sleeps/wakes normally. If I enable VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext, my system wakes 1-2 seconds after sleep. I have applied the GPRW->XPRW rename ACPI patch and SSDT-GPRW ACPI patch, so my system sleeps/wakes (without instant wake) when VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext is not enabled. Any ideas? System details below. Thank you.

I just obtained a new (new to me) HP Envy x360 15m laptop (i5-8250u / UHD620 Kaby Lake R). I haven't decided whether I'll keep it, so my profile does not include this rig. System details are below.

• HP Envy x360 15m laptop (Kaby Lake R i5-8250U, UHD 620, 12 GB DDR4)
  • Catalina 10.15.7.03
  • Open Core 0.6.8
  • SMBIOS MBP14,1
  • Attached config.plist (OC 0.6.8) is a work in progress.
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext (and all plugins) version 2.2.2
@jaymonkey I hope you don't mind if I ping you (in this forum and in "the other"). I've seen your VoodooPS2Controller.kext and HP Envy x360 posts and thought you might have some ideas. Thank you.

About This Mac
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 5.43.06 PM.png

pmset -g
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 4.22.31 AM.png

pmset -g assertions
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 4.23.18 AM.png

Attachments

• config-instantwake.plist.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
@deeveedee,

I have a 2017 15" HP Spectre X360 (full spec in my sig), i use the Acidenthera release of VoodooPS2Controller and have no issues with the kext or sleep. The kext works great and is a big leap forward from Rehabmans original version.

I am currently running version 2.18 of VoodooPS2Controller and run the kext as supplied with all plugin's active, the laptop is booting via Clover release 5107.

Screenshot 2021-04-10 at 14.25.42.png

I've not updated it or the other kexts for a while now as the system is super stable running Catalina 10.15.7. I have no intention of running Big Sur anytime soon so I have no need to update the bootloader to OC or a newer version of Clover

The only other thing of note to comment on is that i have all my 3rd party kexts installed in /L/E rather than injecting them via Clover. i doubt that has anything to do with it but it might be worth trying if your running out of options.

If you are injecting your kexts then make sure that you only have one version of the VoodooInput.kext active/loaded.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey Thanks for the quick reply! i have confirmed that if I revert to RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller.kext (version 1.9.2, October 8, 2018), my system sleeps fine with VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext enabled. Note that Rehabman's version doesn't have VoodooInput.kext.

I always installed my kexts in /L/E when I was running Clover (up through r5022) - my favorite Clover was r5119. Now that I'm running OC, I'm injecting all kexts (none in /L/E).

I suspect I'm making an error with the way I'm using Acidanthera's VoodooPS2Controller.kext. I'm injecting VoodooPS2Controller.kext, VoodooInput.kext, VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext and VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext (in that order).

Thanks again for the quick response and help.

EDIT: @jaymonkey If I revert to Acidanthera's VoodooPS2Controller.kext 2.1.8, I still have the instant wake problem. I'm staying with RehabMan's version 1.9.2 until I figure this out.

Last edited:
Any idea if it's a Synaptics SMBus trackpad? I remember HP using some of those for their devices. Might be able to fix the sleep/wake issues while getting better gestures with VoodooRMI in that case. Acidanthera's VoodooPS2 2.2.0 or greater should be able to tell you (look in IOReg in PS2SynapticsTrackpad for "Intertouch Support" = true)

Might be worth using the debug version of VoodooPS2 and see if there is any packets being received while trying to go to sleep if the above isn't the case

@1Revenger1 RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller 1.9.2 has issues after a few sleep/wake cycles, so I need to change kexts. If I'm reading IORegistryExplorer correctly, it is a Synaptics SMBus trackpad. I will checkout VoodooRMI.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 9.39.24 PM.png

Thank you for the assist!

@1Revenger1 Good news - injecting the VoodooSMBUS and VoodooRMI appears to have fixed the instant wake problem. I need to test further, but initial results are good. I followed instructions here. I'm booting with OC 0.6.8. My current kext injection order is as follows:
  • VoodooSMBus.kext
  • VoodooRMI.kext
  • VoodooRMI.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooInput.kext
  • VoodooRMI.kext/Contents/PlugIns/RMISMBus.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext
Thanks again for your input and for VoodooRMI!

@jaymonkey and @1Revenger1 I've switched back to VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooInput.kext and disabled VoodooRMI and VoodooSMBUS kexts after finding that my trackpad may become non-responsive after resuming from sleep. With VoodooPS2Controller.kext and all of its plugins (without VoodooRMI and without VoodooSMBUS), my trackpad works perfectly, but my laptop won't remain asleep with the lid open (sleeps for 1-2 seconds and then wakes). If I close the lid, the laptop sleeps and remains asleep (until I open the lid).

For now, I'm willing to live with the sleep problem in order to have a fully-responsive trackpad. I'll continue to debug and let you know if I figure this out.

A log of the sleep / wake events is below. It's as though the laptop thinks the power-button was pressed to wake it up.

Code:
2021-04-13 18:58:39 -0400 Sleep Entering Sleep state due to 'Idle Sleep': Using AC (Charge:100%) 14 secs
2021-04-13 18:58:41 -0400 PM Client Acks Delays to Sleep notifications: [mDNSResponder is slow(1011 ms)] [com.apple.apsd is slow(2572 ms)]
2021-04-13 18:58:50 -0400 Kernel Client Acks Delays to Sleep notifications: [AppleHDADriver driver is slow(msg: SetState to 0)(814 ms)] [AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager driver is slow(msg: SetState to 0)(500 ms)]
2021-04-13 18:58:53 -0400 Wake Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to power-button/User Using AC (Charge:100%)

Could try the older version - there are some issues with the latest version with the changes to sleep I made.

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext causes instant wake. How to fix? Details below. Thank you.

EDIT: This instant wake problem is observed with Acidanthera VoodooPS2Controller.kext versions 2.2.2 and 2.1.8. I do not experience this problem if I install RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller.kext version 1.9.2, October 8, 2018. I strongly suspect that this is my error with the way I'm installing / injecting kexts.

I'm using Acidenthera's version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext and plugins VoodooPS2Input.kext, VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext and VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext for the first time. If I enable VoodooPS2Controller.kext and plugins VoodooPS2Input.kext, VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext (without VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext), my rig sleeps/wakes normally. If I enable VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext, my system wakes 1-2 seconds after sleep. I have applied the GPRW->XPRW rename ACPI patch and SSDT-GPRW ACPI patch, so my system sleeps/wakes (without instant wake) when VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext is not enabled. Any ideas? System details below. Thank you.

I just obtained a new (new to me) HP Envy x360 15m laptop (i5-8250u / UHD620 Kaby Lake R). I haven't decided whether I'll keep it, so my profile does not include this rig. System details are below.

• HP Envy x360 15m laptop (Kaby Lake R i5-8250U, UHD 620, 12 GB DDR4)
  • Catalina 10.15.7.03
  • Open Core 0.6.8
  • SMBIOS MBP14,1
  • Attached config.plist (OC 0.6.8) is a work in progress.
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext (and all plugins) version 2.2.2
@jaymonkey I hope you don't mind if I ping you (in this forum and in "the other"). I've seen your VoodooPS2Controller.kext and HP Envy x360 posts and thought you might have some ideas. Thank you.

About This Mac

pmset -g

pmset -g assertions
i have moved your thread to laptop section

I've successfully installed Rehabman's ACPI Debug in Catalina 10.15.7 and confirmed that I can now see ACPI debug messages. I'll report back when I find the cause of the instant wake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back