Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 7590
CPU
i7-9750H
Graphics
UHD 630/GTX 1650 FHD
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm getting an intermittent boot panic from VoodooPS2 with my XPS 7590. It's a bit hard to get to happen consistently but I can end up in these patterns of it panicking every other boot. This was one of the first problems I encountered configuring this laptop and it's stuck around through trying many clover configurations and my own tuning.

I have attached the info from "Your computer was restarted because of a problem" as well as my current IOReg and EFI. For some reason, I can't get the full boot log from dmesg (I guess panicked boots don't save) and the white-to-black time is so bad on this screen that videos taken of the verbose output are an unreadable mess.

Anything else I need to provide? Thank you!

Attachments

• voodoops2.ioreg
    9.6 MB · Views: 123
  • voodoops2 crash.txt
    7.7 KB · Views: 126
  • CLOVER.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 108
Hmmm. This laptop doesn't have a PS2 trackpad so I decided to try removing the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext and ApplePS2Mouse.kext from the VoodooPS2 plugins. So far, I think it's working, haven't had a crash it a couple reboots. Dunno if I can expect any other problems doing this, guess I'll update if this keeps working or not.

I figured it out. Turns out this trackpad presents itself as both an I2C trackpad and a PS2 trackpad. I'll bet having both VoodooPS2 and VoodooI2C connect to it causes some kind of conflict.

The most stable solution seems to be just remove VoodooI2C and let VoodooPS2 go by itself (without removing the plugins as I did in an earlier post). Of course, running the trackpad through PS2 instead of I2C is less than ideal.

Does anyone know how to get VoodooPS2 to ignore the trackpad for good?

Does anyone know how to get VoodooPS2 to ignore the trackpad for good?

Currently there is an issue while having both VoodooPS2 and VoodooI2C with VoodooI2CHID. According to this pull request it looks it's already fixed but you can try it out by compiling VoodooI2C kext.

Sweet, thanks for letting me know! I'll give compiling it a shot

Edit: Here's a build of the latest commit in case anyone else wants it
Edit: Didn't realize the changes weren't merged. Here it is with the patches.

I'm not quite sure this solved it, I did still get a panic after installing it (albeit, not every other boot like before).

Attachments

• Release.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I'm not quite sure this solved it, I did still get a panic after installing it (albeit, not every other boot like before).
Looks like it's more of an issue with VoodooI2CHID. I compiled VoodooI2C from Erictoby, Kprinssu and now I don't get any kernel panics! Let me know if you still do.

Attachments

• VoodooI2C compiled.zip
    157.9 KB · Views: 121
I haven't been getting any kernel panics with my kext, it seems to be working.

EDIT: After a week or so, I can say I'm still getting intermittent crashes with it.

Last edited:
I am currently solving probably the same problem on my dell g3. using voodoops2controler works well without a problem, but the trackpad seems to have some delayed reactions not working well with them. after adding voodooi2c trackpad works perfectly but to work keyboard I have to keep voodoops2 ... but it sometimes gets panic when booting. do you say that after using compiled voodooi2c will solve the problem? and is it possible to use voodoops2 with voodooi2c + hid?

VoodooI2C 2.3 is now out, however, I still get occasional crashes with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back