i5-6200U
Graphics
HD 520
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone,

Greetings from Brazil! My audio used to be fine with Voodoo Universal 2.8 kext up to macOS High Sierra 10.12, but now that I installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 the sound is breaking up and crackling. Any ideas on what it could be? Thank you very much for your time and help. I really appreciate it!

macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 from App Store
Install method UniBeast + MultiBeast
Motherboard Gigabyte G41MT-S2P F3 (legacy boot only)
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
EVGA GTX 1050 Ti (4 GigaBytes)
8 Gigabytes of RAM
HD Samsung SATA 1 TeraByte
Sound Device Info
Codec: VT2021
Vendor 8086
Device 27D8
Sub Ven: 1458
Sub Dev: A014

Last edited:
I've got the same problem on an ASUS X299 Deluxe mainboard with ALC892.
It is certainly a crackling problem - I think with digital sounds being generated as opposed to the old problem of having one of the sound inputs turned up in the preference pane after each reboot. This caused humming or hissing as opposed to the problem I have now which is clicking, or crackling - even popping sometimes.
I haven't had any replies to my posts asking for help with it though, so haven't found any solution yet.

Actually - as I was just about to give up I think I have found a solution.... Obviously early days yet, but changing this setting has immediately removed the noise from the track I was listening too and having played a couple more now it does seems to have fixed it....

In /Applications/Utilities there is an app called Audio MIDI setup.
I opened that, selected my 5.1CH (Green+Orange+.... device.
Set the format to "6 ch 32-bit Interger 192kHz"

This seems to have solved the problem for me.

UPDATE : After a reboot the crackling is back and changing format to 6 ch 32-bit Integer 192kHz no longer solves the problem. The only setting which seems to remove the crackling now are any of the 16 bit ones, as soon as I select 24 bit or 32 bit the crackling comes back immediately.

Last edited:
UPDATE : After a reboot the crackling is back and changing format to 6 ch 32-bit Integer 192kHz no longer solves the problem. The only setting which seems to remove the crackling now are any of the 16 bit ones, as soon as I select 24 bit or 32 bit the crackling comes back immediately.

Hi, robham. I have found a solution to my problem. I installed the latest VoodooHDA.kext and edited its info.plist. You are going to need administrator privileges to do the following:

1) Use DPCI Manager app to view your audio device ID and its vendor ID under PCI List and write down the info
2) Go to the folder where VoodooHDA.kext is installed. It's either /Library/Extensions OR /System/Library/Extensions
3) Right click on VoodooHDA.kext ---> Show Package Contents ---> Contents
4) Open the info.plist file to edit it. I use PlistEdit Pro to do that
5) Go down to IOKitPersonalities ---> VoodooHDA ---> IOPCIClassMatch
6) Rename IOPCIClassMatch to IOPCIPrimaryMatch
7) Set the value of IOPCIPrimaryMatch to 0x 'your audio device number' and 'vendor number'. In my case the value is 0x27D88086 because my audio device id is 27D8 and the vendor id is 8086
8) Save the edited info.plist file and restart your Hackintosh.

I hope it solves your problem!

Thanks very much for the advice jcrcarmo.

It made me realise I didn't actually have a VoodooHDA.kext in either /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions

The only one I had on my system was in my EFI partition, in the CLOVER/Kexts/Other folder. Not sure if this was a problem or not in the end.

I had made the changes to its info.plist file you suggested in that kext package in my EFI partition by following kgp's great instructions for 10.13.3 on my hardware in this post and it did see my audio output device, but just crackled and popped a lot.

In the end I managed to fix it by going back to VoodooHDA2.8.8 which I found in a .pkg distribution - I ran that and ended up with a VoodooHDA.kext in /S/L/E which I edited as you suggested and everything worked fine. I am not sure if I needed to or not, but I also placed a copy of the v2.8.8 VoodooHDA.kext file from /S/L/E into my EFI partition to replace the 2.9 version one from before.

I did also have to edit the iGain value from 80 to 00 to get rid of a hissing noise during boot, but now all working fine, on either 16 bit, 24 bit or 32 bit. No noise and no interference at all.

Thanks for your help, and glad you managed to solve your issue mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back