Contribute
Register

VirtualSMC or FAKESMC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't answer my questions.
You might check the SMCBatteryManager.kext source code to see if/how it might implement cycle count.
And the only place cycle count is available from ACPI is in _BIX (read ACPI spec).

Thanks, that's very interesting.

From this source:
https://github.com/acidanthera/Virt...539/Sensors/SMCBatteryManager/ACPIBattery.cpp SMCBatteryManager tries first to get information from BIX and get BIXCycleCount, and if no BIX method available from ACPI then it goes with BIF (but without cycle count).

Last edited:
@RehabMan one thing I noticed recently was that the Thermal Zone temperatures reported by FakeSMC are always the same, stuck at: 7C, 28C and 30C. See the attached image.

Apparently it happens to all users of the GA Z370N-WiFi as well (discussion initiated here #341). I have the suspicion that it started happening after updating the BIOS from version F9 to F10 (but it's hard to tell really because I did so many things at the same time, including reinstalling the system with 10.14.2, updating FakeSMC etc).

Any thoughts on what can be going on? Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 9.29.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 9.29.36 AM.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 254
@RehabMan one thing I noticed recently was that the Thermal Zone temperatures reported by FakeSMC are always the same, stuck at: 7C, 28C and 30C. See the attached image.

Apparently it happens to all users of the GA Z370N-WiFi as well (discussion initiated here #341). I have the suspicion that it started happening after updating the BIOS from version F9 to F10 (but it's hard to tell really because I did so many things at the same time, including reinstalling the system with 10.14.2, updating FakeSMC etc).

Any thoughts on what can be going on? Any suggestions on how to fix that?

You should debug your ACPI code to see what it is returning.
ACPIDebug.kext can be used to do that.
You will need to be familiar with the ACPI specification.

You should debug your ACPI code to see what it is returning.
ACPIDebug.kext can be used to do that.
You will need to be familiar with the ACPI specification.

One of the things I value RehabMan for is his willingness to help, and the way he guides me towards self-discovery along the way.

In other words, if you do your homework first, he is very good about helping you with finding the rest of the way home.

If you are looking for quick and easy solution, and are free of the willingness to do the work needed to understand what it takes to be a member of this community, he'll still give you enough to realize that you need to do the work to understand what you're doing to be a member of the community.

Lest one read this as a little "shade" going his way, let me reassure you that I have many times been helped by his posts, and stand in true admiration of his abilities. FWIW, it reminds me of the "old days", when we had real under groups (think BMUG), and we all worked together to move the group forward.

Merry Christmas, RehabMan....you are a gift to all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back