Contribute
Register

Virtual machines in VirtualBox - Has anyone got it working?

Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s QJ763AV
CPU
Intel i5 2430m 2.40 GHz
Graphics
Intel HD3000 / Radeon 7470M
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
[SOLVED] Virtual machines in VirtualBox - Has anyone got it working?

Hi, I just returned to using Windows for a while for 3 reasons, one being that I couldn't manage to create virtual machines while having Mac, plus I wanted to update my BIOS to F40 and also extract a native/clean DSDT using the RW-Everything software.

The error I was getting in VirtualBox while on Mac OS X 10.8.3 was VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR. (VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED) even when I checked the BIOS settings to ensure Virtualization Technology was enabled.

Has anybody got virtual machines working using VirtualBox? (Planning to have/create Windows 7 virtual machine every 2 weeks for work-related purpose)
Will patching my own DSDT with F40 BIOS revision (using RehabMan's method) help?
And what's the easiest way/software to patch DSDT? I'm totally inexperienced in this matter.

Thanks to all in advance.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I just returned to using Windows for a while for 3 reasons, one being that I couldn't manage to create virtual machines while having Mac, plus I wanted to update my BIOS to F40 and also extract a native/clean DSDT using the RW-Everything software.

The error I was getting in VirtualBox while on Mac OS X 10.8.3 was VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR. (VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED) even when I checked the BIOS settings to ensure Virtualization Technology was enabled.

Has anybody got virtual machines working using VirtualBox? (Planning to have/create Windows 7 virtual machine every 2 weeks for work-related purpose)
Will patching my own DSDT with F40 BIOS revision (using RehabMan's method) help?

I can't help with your VM questions, as I've never messed w/ VM software on Mac, but...

And what's the easiest way/software to patch DSDT? I'm totally inexperienced in this matter.

Easy way to create a patched DSDT is to use the ProBook Installer v6.1. Excerpt from the 'sticky guide':

You can also re-patch your DSDT using the ProBook Installer. Follow these instructions

1. Remove /Extra/dsdt.aml. If you have a high-resolution screen, install Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml to /Extra/ssdt-1.aml. Then reboot. After reboot, you are running without a DSDT (no audio, WiFi, battery, etc)
2. Run ProBook Installer and select only the DSDT options you did before in step 14.
3. Allow the ProBook Installer to create your DSDT, then reboot.

Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s QJ763AV
CPU
Intel i5 2430m 2.40 GHz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I can't help with your VM questions, as I've never messed w/ VM software on Mac, but...

Easy way to create a patched DSDT is to use the ProBook Installer v6.1. Excerpt from the 'sticky guide':

Thank you. This option looks easy indeed, will try that and post back results. So I guess that DSDT file that was generated through RW-Everything is not needed when using this option, did I understand correctly?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you. This option looks easy indeed, will try that and post back results. So I guess that DSDT file that was generated through RW-Everything is not needed when using this option, did I understand correctly?

It is not needed because you boot without a DSDT, which allows the ProBook Installer to extract the raw one from the ioregistry. It then uses patchmatic (https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic) to apply the patches (same as those from my github repo) as selected to the DSDT and place a patched one in /Extra/dsdt.aml.

Motherboard
Asrock b85m itx
CPU
i7-4770s
Graphics
HD 4600
I just installed Win 7 on VirtualBox last week :) and fyi I run 10.7.5 and F40 bios and have used probookV6b9 and everything works perfectly.

I took a bit of googling around but this is what I did (from memory)

You need to go into the bios and turn on 3 things:
the two boxes related to virtual machine (as you did)

The third is "UEFI booting" I cant remember which tab it is under the bios, so you will have to do a bit of digging. It should be with the boot options. This is the magic sauce.

That took me forever to find and wasnt at all obvious.

Hope you get it going.

Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s QJ763AV
CPU
Intel i5 2430m 2.40 GHz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I just installed Win 7 on VirtualBox last week :) and fyi I run 10.7.5 and F40 bios and have used probookV6b9 and everything works perfectly.

I took a bit of googling around but this is what I did (from memory)

You need to go into the bios and turn on 3 things:
the two boxes related to virtual machine (as you did)

The third is "UEFI booting" I cant remember which tab it is under the bios, so you will have to do a bit of digging. It should be with the boot options. This is the magic sauce.

That took me forever to find and wasnt at all obvious.

Hope you get it going.

Wow, thanks. Yeah, UEFI booting was the only one I didn't enable. I know where it is.

Thank you very much to both of you. Will do a nice clean install in a while and will post back results.

Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s QJ763AV
CPU
Intel i5 2430m 2.40 GHz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Ok, just to provide some feedback here, in case anybody is wondering or having a similar issue.

I did a clean install of Mountain Lion 10.8.3. Patching DSDT according to RehabMan's advice went well, everything seems to working great! Even boot up is quick now (30 seconds, I've got a 5400rpm SATA 750 GB drive).

As for noreye's advice, I have enabled the UEFI boot (as well as Virtualization Technology of course) from BIOS, and tried to start Windows 7 VirtualBox virtual machine but I was getting the same error, and I just realized that it was due to the fact that my Windows 7 installation was 64bit.

So I got myself a 32bit Windows 7 disc, disabled the VT-x acceleration option on the Virtual Machine settings, and now it's working fine.

Thank you so much to both of you for your help. Glad to be back to using my Hackintosh. :)

Motherboard
Asrock b85m itx
CPU
i7-4770s
Graphics
HD 4600
I just realized that it was due to the fact that my Windows 7 installation was 64bit.

So I got myself a 32bit Windows 7 disc, disabled the VT-x acceleration option on the Virtual Machine settings, and now it's working fine.

Thank you so much to both of you for your help. Glad to be back to using my Hackintosh. :)

Glad you got things working!
FYI - my Win 7 virtual box install is 64 bit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-31 at 23.35.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-31 at 23.35.25 PM.png
    100 KB · Views: 393
Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s QJ763AV
CPU
Intel i5 2430m 2.40 GHz
Graphics
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Glad you got things working!
FYI - my Win 7 virtual box install is 64 bit.

Hmm, interesting. Our settings look identical. The only difference is that you have an i7 CPU, mine is i5. Maybe that's the issue.