Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Village Idiot Looking for Help (Sapphire RX 580 Black Screen Saga)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have HWMonitorSMC2 or iStat Menus installed?

Try to play an H264 and HEVC video with Quicktime Player and check if the RX580 is been used.

If it is, you're good to go and don't need to change the model name.

I don't have either of those installed, and I'm not sure how to check if the gpu is being used for those (formats?). I'll look it up now, to save you explaining the mundane, but I'll wait to hear form you as to whether or not I need to install those items. Are they Kexts or what?

They are hardware monitor apps. First one is free, second isn't but there's a trial mode.

Attachments

• HWMONITOR.jpg
    HWMONITOR.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 52
  • ISTATMENUS.jpg
    ISTATMENUS.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 54
Lost me...

I downloaded HWMonitorSMC2. It runs in the menu bar and displays NOTHING about display, anywhere that I can find. I tried HWSensors--it displays nothing about ANYTHING in the Manu bar.

H.264 PLAYS in QT--I can't say more than that. Not sure if it's using the gpu or not.

H.265 I can't figure out how to play

I use that instead of the original FakeSMC and used to have them installed in /Other (now in Opencore kexts since I moved to it)

I think I'm going to have to look into which kexts I need vs those I don't from the release folder--because when I just dropped them all in Other and hoped that Clover wouldn't choke, it choked! :) That's okay, but it's a project for tomorrow.

Is there any other way for me to verify that things are working okay on my end? I'd really like to know that everything is functioning properly. Should I just buy a premium hardware monitor? I don't mind, but I've just never needed on on macOS before. So, I didn't want to buy something that I didn't know how to use.

I use these (highlighted in blue) without any issue on both Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15.4

Attachments

• Monitor-plugins.jpg
    Monitor-plugins.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 51
I use these (highlighted in blue) without any issue on both Mojave 10.14.6 and Catalina 10.15.4

I still get a hang and can't boot (see screenshot), when I use those exact kexts. My Other folder (which hopefully I haven't messed up, at this point), in a bootable state, looks like the other screenshot included here. Not sure what's tripping it up.
Verbose.jpeg

Kexts Prior.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back