i5-8400
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi

I love my MBPR but want something more powerful for Photoshop and FCP.

I have spent ages reseraching different parts but so many people have some many different experiences with the same parts. Anyways was looking at the following for my first build

• Intel I7 4790
  • 16gb Branded ram
  • 250gb Samsung Evo 840 *2 (macosx raid)
  • 120gb Samsung Evo 840 *1 (windows)
  • Bitfenix Case and 600w Corsair PSU
  • EVGA GT740 2gb DDR5

The only component im stuck on is the motherboard. I know GB boards are preferred but i am a fan of ASROCK boards and like the look of the Asrock Z97m oc formula.

Has anyone used this board at all and highlighyt any issues you had. Google search did not bring up many users in english forums using it. Or should i stick with a GB Z97 board?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi

I love my MBPR but want something more powerful for Photoshop and FCP.

I have spent ages reseraching different parts but so many people have some many different experiences with the same parts. Anyways was looking at the following for my first build

• Intel I7 4790
  • 16gb Branded ram
  • 250gb Samsung Evo 840 *2 (macosx raid)
  • 120gb Samsung Evo 840 *1 (windows)
  • Bitfenix Case and 600w Corsair PSU
  • EVGA GT740 2gb DDR5

The only component im stuck on is the motherboard. I know GB boards are preferred but i am a fan of ASROCK boards and like the look of the Asrock Z97m oc formula.

Has anyone used this board at all and highlighyt any issues you had. Google search did not bring up many users in english forums using it. Or should i stick with a GB Z97 board?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

For your first build I would advise you to stick with a Gigabyte board - they're preferred because they are generally easier to get Mac OS X running on. I would advise you, as a first-timer, specifically to stay away from ASRock, based on my recent experience with an ASRock H97M-ITX/ac. I got it working, but had to use the Clover bootloader, which is for more advanced builders.

For your first build I would advise you to stick with a Gigabyte board - they're preferred because they are generally easier to get Mac OS X running on. I would advise you, as a first-timer, specifically to stay away from ASRock, based on my recent experience with an ASRock H97M-ITX/ac. I got it working, but had to use the Clover bootloader, which is for more advanced builders.

OK thanks. I don't mind getting hands dirty and do a lot of coding but why make life difficult. So a good GB Matx or mitx board is order of the day

Ok so i think ive settled on the following

Aerocool dead silence case
EVGA 600W Psu
Gigabyte H97m-d3h
16gb Hyperx 1600 ram
Samsung 250gb SSD
Samsung 128gb SSD

Processor will either be i7 4790 or i5 4690, not made my mind up yet purely for video editing. Not sure if better to do just the 4790 with hd 4600, or 4690 with a evga 740/750 card

So hopefully all will go well, not sure wether the network card will work but easily remedied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back