Contribute
Register

ViDock or similar eGPU possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to get vidock working with Mac mini, and having a hell of a time getting the nvidia drivers to work with 10.10.3. Even the newly updated 02f...anyone have time to chat/troubleshoot Thursday or sometime in the evening us east coast time, let me know.

I use a ViDock 4+ with my 4530s. Laptop has a intel hd 3000 and 2760qm cpu. Runs at pcie 2.0 x1 so 5Gb/s. Works in both Windows 7 and os x 10.8.2. To get it working in os x, I just plugged in the expresscard before bootup and it showed up in system information.

And pjalm just because it is running 1 lane instead of 16 lanes doesn't mean it is 1/16th the performance. The expresscard has about a 20% decrease in performance compared to the full 16 lanes. And compared to the intel 3000? Almost all of my games show an increase in performance ranging from 500%-1000%. Or 5fps to 45+. It is a completely viable solution.

To OP, if you have any other questions about external graphics feel free to ask :)

I'm in a similar spot as you but I'm using PE4L instead of ViDock on my 4530s. There are a few things that have changed since you posted like turning off SIP in 10.11 and adding OSX build specific web drivers packages if necessary for newer cards. My issues is that all of the guides are modifying kexts to enable thunderbolt. There is no discussion on the process for non-TB setups like yours so I've been skipping all the kext mod TB specific stuff. I've got my GT240 using osx native drivers. Card recognized as Nvidia Chip Model in system profiler but no screen/display options. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm in a similar spot as you but I'm using PE4L instead of ViDock on my 4530s. There are a few things that have changed since you posted like turning off SIP in 10.11 and adding OSX build specific web drivers packages if necessary for newer cards. My issues is that all of the guides are modifying kexts to enable thunderbolt. There is no discussion on the process for non-TB setups like yours so I've been skipping all the kext mod TB specific stuff. I've got my GT240 using osx native drivers. Card recognized as Nvidia Chip Model in system profiler but no screen/display options. Any ideas? Thanks!
what is your eGPU interface using? ( expresscarrd or mPCIe - remove wifi card )

I have just installed an eGPU successfully to my Probook 6570b, the version with Intel HD4000 graphics. I am using Windows 7 though, I am not sure how it works with MacOS. But for me it works plug and play. You just plug it in, install drivers and that's it.

This is the config:
HP Probook 6570b
PE4C v3.0 adapter
EVGA Geforce GTX 460 v2.0 videocard

Gaming becomes smoother, and video rendering became 200% faster for me.

I also tried it on Windows 10 where it reported error and needed tweaking. However due to the fact it runs plug and play on Windows 7 might mean the chipset drivers can affect the success quite much. If you want to use it on MacOS, you may try to experiment with chipset deivers in case it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back