Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello guys,
I am building a video production/editing (not animation) hackintosh for my sister and looking for build suggestions.

Overview
Hardware budget: $1200 USD for tower.
Primary use: Video Production in 2D Full HD using Final Cut Pro X and occasionally graphic work with Adobe suite programs.

Questions:
1. Does larger capacity RAM affect rendering time or video editing performance? 16GB enough by today's standards?
2. Does larger capacity VRAM affect rendering time or video editing? 2GB GPU cards perform well with a 1080p to 1440p monitor?
3. Are some GPU cards better for video editing than others? i.e. Are there video editing cards and gaming cards?
4. The build guide recommends the GTX 670 among others. Do all GTX 670 work without driver mods or only the EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR model?

I was wondering if compatible so far? I noticed build guide shows Corsair memory only. Are other RAM brands/models compatible?
:?:My biggest question is, what parts must be hackintosh specific. For example, case and psu don't matter. Motherboard yes? What other components must I pick out carefully?

Christmas Update:
-All parts purchased for a total cost of $1256

2013 Hackintosh Build:
Cougar Solution Black Steel Gaming ATX Case
Intel Core i7 4770 OEM CPU
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Z87 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) CML16GX3M2A1600C10B Memory
ASUS GeForce GTX 760 2GB GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5 GPU
Cooler Master i700 PSU
2x PNY XLR8 PRO SSD9SC120GCDA-RB 120GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
ASUS DRW-24F1ST DVD Drive

Hello xOAT,

I cannot answer your all questions but I can start the conversation and give you some information :)

A1: Ram capacity affects video editing but CPU is the most important component. 16GB RAM is pretty enough for 2D Full HD editing but I would totally recommend you to get more RAM if you can. With your system, editing won't be a problem if your disks fast enough. I don't know the render time though, I don't know how much RAM would affect that, I've never used Final Cut Pro X. However, if she is considering using After Effects, RAM is EXTREMELY important. 16GB RAM is enough for most 2D 1080p animations but I would suggest you to get more RAM.

A2: If you are considering 2GB GTX 670, that's a pretty good card. GPU does not affect the render time or your work on videos much as long as you don't use Premiere Pro which means CUDA. Then you can get pretty good boost. People are talking about that Apple optimizes Final Cut Pro X for CUDA-like process but I really don't know. Again, in After Effects, GPU may become important than expected because if she will use Element3D plug-in then you should get the best GPU that you can get. Plus, in After Effects CC, Adobe brought native Cinema4D support, so that would require a good GPU too.

A3: Like I said, video card is important IF the software uses it. If you were going to use Premiere Pro, I would recommend the fastest CUDA supported card that you can buy but I hope somebody enlighten both of us about use of GPU in FCPX. nVidia Quadro cards are more suitable for 3D and CUDA reqired software but they are way too expensive so you should just stick with GTX 6XX cards and GTX 670 is really enough. In case of use in Adobe softwares, enabling card for CUDA is all you need to do. You can search it, it's really easy to do.

A4: If CustoMac page does not specify any brand, then I think you are good to go with any brand as long as GPU is supported. At least, it worked that way me.

Thanks for your input szrbrg!
However, if she is considering using After Effects, RAM is EXTREMELY important.
She would like to use After Effects, so we decided to plan for 32GB. OP updated.

People are talking about that Apple optimizes Final Cut Pro X for CUDA-like process but I really don't know.
Doing some quick searches, the old Final Cut versions did not support GPU rendering, but the newer versions have some. I'm a PC fanboy and use Sony Vegas, which has GPU rendering and I notice the CPU vs. GPU render difference from on my PC. The 670 will be enough, I just hope it's not overkill/unutilzed. Final Cut will probably fully support GPU renders in the future, so I guess getting the 670 now wouldn't hurt. She is more concerned with general video editing speed/smoothness more than render times.

Do you guys think there will be a noticable difference in video editing smoothness/speed in FCP if we went with a 660ti instead of the 670?

I am very sorry for late respond. I guess you already built the machine but I will respond anyway in case you did not build it yet or maybe it would be useful for somebody else.

I don't think 660Ti would be different than 670. They both are pretty good for GPU acceleration. I will put this way: I have i7-3770K (but not overclocked yet), 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 RAM, 2 GB660Ti and Corsair GT SSD (Videos on SSD). In Premiere Pro, I can play the 1080p video on timeline without rendering and make color changes without stopping the video. Premiere Pro uses CUDA for this and I had tried FCPX as well and it was as smooth as Premiere Pro. I did not spend much time on FCPX though. I believe, even if FCPX is not that good at GPU usage, it will be in the future, probably soon. So, if you can get 670, get it without a doubt but if you cannot afford it, 660Ti is okay to go.

No time hurry. She can wait a while. The build will most likely not be built until the end of this year.o_O Buying parts around Black Friday probably.
Thanks szrbrg, very helpful.
Too bad this site doesn't have user rep... szrbrg rep++

I will be posting the in progress build and results in the appropriate section when parts are bought.
No more questions at the moment. Will post in this thread if more question arise.

December update bump

Your black Friday buys were good choices. The CPU and motherboard are the most important
choices for compatibility. Next you'll need to choose a gfx card. I'd say for that build a GTX
760 would be a good choice. It will perform about as well as a 670 or 680 of the previous
gen would. Price is reasonable too at around $250 US. 2GB of Vram should be fine. As far
as ram goes buy a quality name brand like Corsair or Crucial 1.5 V and 1600 MHz clock speed.

How about buying SSDs? I've heard Mac systems have problems with SSD drives using the LSI Sandforce controller. True? Does this only apply to genuine apple systems only?

How about buying SSDs? I've heard Mac systems have problems with SSD drives using the LSI Sandforce controller. True? Does this only apply to genuine apple systems only?

Try one of the Samsung SSDs in the buyer's guide and you'll have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back