Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Don't get intimidated if you're not into video editing, this is probably a problem unrelated to FCPX!

So, i just installed a Final Cut Pro X on my Hackintosh with Yosemite (10.10.5). However, the program won't generate any thumbnails for the videos. I have to skim the clips to get a preview of the content.

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 17.35.47.png

After further investigation i discovered that neither did i get any audio waveforms, and the program used the original video files instead of the optimised ones, even though the transcoding had been successful.

When taking a look at all my libraries, i saw that none of them had written any cached files (which contains the exact files I'm missing in my library).

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 17.44.47.png

Now, this could of course be a fault in the program itself, but i don't think so. I have the EXACT same problems in iMovie and earlier versions of FCPX. I think this means that there has to be something wrong outside the program itself.

My FCPX (all versions + iMovie) can't run with the NVIDIA web drivers, so I'm using the OS X Default Graphics Driver. It seems unlikely that these problems are related, but i might as well mention it!

My configuration:

Processor Intel i7 3820 @ 4,3ghz
Primary Harddrive Samsung SSD 512GB (also containing Windows 10)
Graphics Card Nvidia GTX 660 Ti (running OS X default driver)
Motherboard Asus P9X79 PRO
RAM 16gb
Audio Card Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
Bootloader Chimera
OS OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Don't get intimidated if you're not into video editing, this is probably a problem unrelated to FCPX!

So, i just installed a Final Cut Pro X on my Hackintosh with Yosemite (10.10.5). However, the program won't generate any thumbnails for the videos. I have to skim the clips to get a preview of the content.

View attachment 171439

After further investigation i discovered that neither did i get any audio waveforms, and the program used the original video files instead of the optimised ones, even though the transcoding had been successful.

When taking a look at all my libraries, i saw that none of them had written any cached files (which contains the exact files I'm missing in my library).

View attachment 171440

Now, this could of course be a fault in the program itself, but i don't think so. I have the EXACT same problems in iMovie and earlier versions of FCPX. I think this means that there has to be something wrong outside the program itself.

My FCPX (all versions + iMovie) can't run with the NVIDIA web drivers, so I'm using the OS X Default Graphics Driver. It seems unlikely that these problems are related, but i might as well mention it!

My configuration:

Processor Intel i7 3820 @ 4,3ghz
Primary Harddrive Samsung SSD 512GB (also containing Windows 10)
Graphics Card Nvidia GTX 660 Ti (running OS X default driver)
Motherboard Asus P9X79 PRO
RAM 16gb
Audio Card Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
Bootloader Chimera
OS OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

First thought is a permissions problem.

As a high level activity, run disk utility and ask it to check and verify stuff.

As a low level activity I'd look at the permissions on individual directories.

Got to say its unusual and permissions is a stab in the dark though. FCPX does strange and unusual things. What Settings have you got? Any external drivers etc?

Wonder if installation (or usage) of the nVidia drivers messes the permissions up? I don't use nVidia with FCPX so anything I suggest is just that a suggestion.

Rob

First thought is a permissions problem.

As a high level activity, run disk utility and ask it to check and verify stuff.

As a low level activity I'd look at the permissions on individual directories.

Got to say its unusual and permissions is a stab in the dark though. FCPX does strange and unusual things. What Settings have you got? Any external drivers etc?

Wonder if installation (or usage) of the nVidia drivers messes the permissions up? I don't use nVidia with FCPX so anything I suggest is just that a suggestion.

Rob

Yes, it does really feel like an odd problem!

I've tried to verify and repair permissions. I've also deleted all the preferences in multiple ways. Not using any external drives with FCPX.

Currently I'm using the default OS X drivers, so they shouldn't be a problem!

Yes, it does really feel like an odd problem!

I've tried to verify and repair permissions. I've also deleted all the preferences in multiple ways. Not using any external drives with FCPX.

Currently I'm using the default OS X drivers, so they shouldn't be a problem!

Whats the OS X console say?

attachment.php

Here's what the console says after startup and scrolling through one clip. A lot of interesting messages here, but i don't know where to start!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 21.00.58.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 21.00.58.png
    495.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I had exactly the same issue - no thumbnails and no audio waveform in event viewer and timeline. Even a new/fresh installation of El Capitan 10.11.6 and FCPx 10.2.3 was not successful. No matter on which disk i created/imported audio files or gopro3+ MP4 files, it was not working.
After changing my config.plist in clover from MacPro5,1 to iMac11,3 with new Serial#, MLB and UUIDs and a final reboot, everything was working as expected, without any further changes. Now, the hackintosh ( as iMac11,3 ) created 'Render Files/High Quality Media', 'Render Files/Peaks Data' and 'Render Files/Thumbnail Media' directories, which the hackintosh ( as MacPro5,1 ) did NOT!!

My System: Asus P6TSE, I7-970, 12GB DDR 1333, ATI Radeon 5870 1GB, Samsung 850 EVO, Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB HD, ( now on latest ) macOS Sierra

cheers Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back