Contribute
Register

Video Editing Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! First of all: I have never built a machine before, and certainly not a hackmac. I´m pretty n00b at this, but I have decided to try this one out and maybe learn something on the way. (Many of our grandparents knew how radios work, so the least I can do for my generation is tho know a little more about the inside of a computer.) :angel: I work as a video editor and I really want a powerful 4k build at home for that purpose, mainly with Avid Media Composer.

As I said I don´t know much about this but, from what I have learned from you guys, I have managed to make a list with the stuff i assume is the best within reason. It is pretty maxed out price-wise, so please tell me where I could start going lower without loosing all the significant juice. The tag at the moment is about 2900$ (23000 NOK). I really wanna get closer to the 2grand mark.

Feel free to tell me why this build won´t work for any reason, where the worst overkill is, what could be done smarter or what I clearly lack in insight. o_O Thanx!!

3174962.jpg

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming HDMI 3xDP 2xDVI 6GB

3226016.jpg

Intel Core i7 6700K 4,0GHz Socket 1151 Box without Cooler

3266687.jpg

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH

3509218.jpg

2x Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Grey DDR4 PC19200/2400MHz CL17 2x16GB

1554043.jpg

Corsair Hydro H60 V2

2954236.jpg

Corsair Carbide 330R Blackout Edition (Sort)

2185202.jpg

Corsair RM650 650W

2880218.jpg

Samsung 850 EVO Series MZ-75E250B 250GB

3555695.jpg

(2x?) AOC U2879VF

2978484.jpg

TP-Link Archer T9E

543400.jpg

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (NO)

2778058.jpg

Razer DeathAdder Chroma

Btw: The links are norwegian. :p

Last edited:
I have just finished putting together my first Hack - thanks to some excellent guides on this site (specifically, this is the one I used: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...0k-intel-hd-530-thunderbolt-dual-boot.191292/.

I went with a single 4K monitor from LG Model #: 27UD68-W.AUS - looks amazing and is an IPS rather than TN panel. I also went with 64GB of memory.

Build was simple and works pretty damn well. I use Final Cut to do my editing work - and the R9 - 280X 3GB I picked up for $180CAD made a massive improvement (over the built in Intel 530). My late 2010 27" iMac and late 2011 17" MacBook Pro - were both around 1 minute on the bruceX test... using the R9, it dropped to about 15 seconds give or take.

I am nobody to comment on your build, but I would just ensure - that Avid will take advantage of that graphics card properly. Otherwise, you might be able to save some money - as those TI cards here in Canada at least, are extremely expensive ($1000 ish). Given that macOS is about to be released, and there are some rumours of support for the newer Nvidia cards - I'd maybe just suggest, wait a few weeks before buying the video card?

For video work you will probably want 64GB of RAM, probably around DDR4 3200; 256GB SDD is probably too small and you'll probably want a 1,2, or 4 TB HDD to store your video files. Have you ever tried a Logitech mouse with a free spinning scroll wheel? I like the corded Logitech M500 best, although I also have the Anywhere and M705 wireless mice, too. I just wish that the M500 anti-friction feet were as nice as those on the Anywhere and Anywhere2 wireless mice.

I have just finished putting together my first Hack - thanks to some excellent guides on this site (specifically, this is the one I used: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...0k-intel-hd-530-thunderbolt-dual-boot.191292/.

I went with a single 4K monitor from LG Model #: 27UD68-W.AUS - looks amazing and is an IPS rather than TN panel. I also went with 64GB of memory.

Build was simple and works pretty damn well. I use Final Cut to do my editing work - and the R9 - 280X 3GB I picked up for $180CAD made a massive improvement (over the built in Intel 530). My late 2010 27" iMac and late 2011 17" MacBook Pro - were both around 1 minute on the bruceX test... using the R9, it dropped to about 15 seconds give or take.

I am nobody to comment on your build, but I would just ensure - that Avid will take advantage of that graphics card properly. Otherwise, you might be able to save some money - as those TI cards here in Canada at least, are extremely expensive ($1000 ish). Given that macOS is about to be released, and there are some rumours of support for the newer Nvidia cards - I'd maybe just suggest, wait a few weeks before buying the video card?

I'm about to build a hackintosh for FCPX and Motion 5. I just can't move over to Adobe products, and I've done stuff in Motion 5 that a lot of AE people say I couldn't do. I'm going to wait to see what Apples's announcement is going to be in late Oct to decide if I proceed with FCPX and Motion 5. If they don't show some support for their Pro apps with the release of a Pro machine, then I'm not going to buy a Mac ever again, or build a hackintosh. I'll just move to PC.

I think it's great you're getting FCPX to do so well on your build. I'm hopeful for the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back