Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte
CPU
intel i7 7700k
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 980ti
Hi guys,

I am new to the world of hackintosh and system builds, however I do have enough knowledge to point me in the right direction. I would like some advice on building a media editing system. Something which will be used almost entirely for video processing using Adobe products.
My current parts look like this:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-UD5
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980ti or AMD Firepro W7100 (I am unsure)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB
SSD: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB
HDD: WD Blue 2TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 120-G2-1000-XR

Are these parts compatible? Are there any recommendations? My main concern is the GPU.
I understand Kabylake isn't yet supported by apple but I assume it is not far away.

Regards

Haha, i'm looking at the exact same specs for my Video editing-monster as well.
I'll go for 32gb ram and a bigger SSD though!
Regarding the GPU you should go for Nvidia, since Premiere and AE is able to use CUDA-acceleration

Awesome, I will definitely go with the 32gb RAM and i will look into a larger ssd, i think maybe sticking with the small M.2 ssd and maybe grab a standard sata ssd as an additoon would be cheaper.

I have been reading about workstation GPU's and they sound better equipped for what i will use it for, the price gap is quiet large though, if you are recommending Nvidia because of CUDA, I think its a winner.

Cheers!

Count me in as well, I am looking at a very similar setup, I just purchased the GTX 980 Ti but I am trying to figure out if I should get the
1) Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 + i7 6700k
or
2) Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5 + i7 7700k
or even
3) Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 with Core i7 7700k.

I have read so many things that I am very mixed up. I have heard that 6700K was a bit buggy so they rushed the 7700K. But as of right now only 6700K is fully supported but you can make the 7700K work. On the other hand the 100 vs the 200 chip on the motherboards.
What have you guys heard or know about this? Is there really a problem with 6700K?
If we put the 980 Ti, does it really matter if there is no full support on Kaby Lake? We won't be using the built in video card anyway..

Cheers!

Based on the fact that there's been more builds - and even golden ones - using Z170/6700k that's the route I've decided to take. Considering it's so easy for noobs like us to tumble into the weeds, the advice is generally to stay the course in the beginning.

-m

Based on the fact that there's been more builds - and even golden ones - using Z170/6700k that's the route I've decided to take. Considering it's so easy for noobs like us to tumble into the weeds, the advice is generally to stay the course in the beginning.

-m
I was able to get a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 for about $70 USD so I will stick to that as well for now. This mobo has already been updated by the seller to support KabyLake, so I am very tempted...
So my decision comes down to GA-Z170X-UD5 and 6700K or 7700K.. We are in March and I am hoping that while I make up my mind an iMac with KabyLake gets released. As far as I know the only thing that doesn't work for now is the sleep function. Still hesitating.

I was able to get a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 for about $70 USD so I will stick to that as well for now. This mobo has already been updated by the seller to support KabyLake, so I am very tempted...
So my decision comes down to GA-Z170X-UD5 and 6700K or 7700K.. We are in March and I am hoping that while I make up my mind an iMac with KabyLake gets released. As far as I know the only thing that doesn't work for now is the sleep function. Still hesitating.
Seems like people are making it work. If it's something you really want to do then that desire should provide the motivation to see it though. Just expect there to be more hiccups than with a 6700K, stay calm and hack on.

-m

I decided to build with the specs i posted earlier, I am in no rush and my build is comfortably running windows. My goal is to get mac os installed ASAP, and i have been reading a lot about how certain people have managed to get systems more complex working. However, nothing i have done even lets me install the OS. Im just waiting for a more comprehensive install guide and updates to hopefully become available.

If anyone has any install advice, please lend a helping hand, it would be much appreciated!

what video card did you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back