MSI GTX 760 TF OC
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Dear all,
I need a faster Mac and I decided to try an hackintosh for curiosity and for wider choice of configurations. I have experience in building computers and configuring them, so I think I can take the risk.
My typical usage is focused on graphics and general usage, I don't play games often.
Also, given the opportunity, I would like to have a dual boot with Windows 8.1 (that BTW I like).

According to your useful guides and examples in the forums, it seems to me that the following configuration is working well:
- Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI + Crucial 16GB (I don't need WiFi)
- BitFenix Phenom + Corsair RM Series 550Watt Voll Modular 80 PLUS Gold (BTW the link to the Corsair 550W on Amazon.de is broken in the Buyer's guide)
- Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB + 120 GB (big one for Mac, small one for Win to keep things clean and easy)

CPU, CPU cooler, Video card are not chosen yet.
Now comes the real question, I will throw some data to it, I hope not to bore you :)

These are the prices here:
- i7 4770K: 300 Eur
- i7 4770: 270 Eur
- i5 4670K: 210 Eur
- i5 4670: 200 Eur

First thing: given the prices, the K versions makes sense if, with the stock air cooler, I can get 10% overclock. I think it is safe to assume 10% overclock is always possible, therefore K versions make always sense.
But how much more can I really get without replacing the cooler? If I can get about 20% (stable) overclock on stock cooler with the i5 4670K (that means to 4.0 GHz), the i7 makes no sense anymore, because the performances would be similar on most tasks (this is what I understood).
Moreover, the i5 4670K leaves me budget for the Corsair H60.
Which one would be quieter? a i7 4770K with stock air cooler, or i5 4670K with Corsair H60?
Also, do you have any additional suggestion on the topic of CPUs?

Thanks!

Concerning the graphic card I am still unsure and probably I will wait, I am afraid it will make everything much noisier without real benefit if I don't play games. Any experience on the topic of noise from the video card?

Thanks again everyone!

Just my thoughts; those with more experience may be able to advise you better (or correct any errors of mine):

CPU - What will the machine be used for, specifically? You've mentioned graphics and general usage. If by "graphics" you mean basic photographic editing (e.g., not involving raw image processing), then you probably don't need an i7 and you probably don't need to overclock the CPU. If your usage is low-demand, you might even consider an i3.

CPU cooling - If you're not overclocking, the general view seems to be that the stock Intel coolers should be fine. If you're overclocking, you should probably check reviews of the specific coolers you're considering; a good starting point might be http://www.silentpcreview.com/ or any of the major technology websites. From reading, my general impression is that air coolers are quieter than liquid coolers, but the end result will depend on your specific parts and usage (e.g., with your machine overclocked and under load, a liquid cooler might be quieter than an air cooler).

GPU card - If you don't have a need for anything beyond the integrated graphics capabilities on the CPU, adding a GPU card would just use more power and probably make your machine slightly louder without any practical benefit. You should probably try the integrated graphics and then, if not meeting your needs, just add a GPU card later.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it actually does, thank you.
I am working on 24 Mpx RAW files, not basic editing: a full-res preview takes about 20 seconds on my C2D 2.4 GHz (when working from memory, no swap file used), this means an i3 (2 cores) won't cut it if the geekbench and cpu passmark values are to be trusted.
Not to mention panoramas that right now take tens of minutes each.

In the meanwhile, I noticed that I can have an E3-1230 v3 at a price lower than the i5: I get the features (HT) and performances of an i7, but a much lower price. Since an i3 is not enough, the choice is basically made.
However, this Xeon has no video card and I need a discrete GPU. I will check that website to understand better how it affects final noise. Given the 1920x1200 monitor, an Intel HD 4600 would have been about the very minimum anyway and a separate GPU won't hurt (but also not help Lightroom <=5, I know).

Given your opinion on the cooler, and given that this is my first hackintosh build, I will order the basic system first (no second SSD for Win, no special cooler) and I will try it. If it works, then I will evaluate additional changes.

After building the machine, I must say that it is practically inaudible, it's totally silent. The Intel Xeon stock cooler is good enough (no OC on Xeons) and even after some minutes of LR4 export (700% CPU used) or after some time of gameplay (Left 4 Dead 2, a bit old) everything is still silent.
The graphic card is also optimal: the MSI N760 TF OC can be heard only at startup, then nothing more.

The case Fractal Design Mini is well insulated and even with two additional fans it keeps the noise inside.
The Corsair RM550 power supply is fanless up to 220W, that means most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back