Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
Xeon X5650 OC 3.6GHz
Graphics
GTX 660
Every single card on the buyer's guide is out of stock in Amazon/Newegg.

I have a 1050 and things are - well, weird in Mojave with the built-in drivers (I know not to expect nvidia to come out with new drivers). I'm shopping for a new card.

The video card market is quite insane right now - it's hard to get anything.

My question - if the buyer's guide has some options, say RX 570 for example, and I go to newegg and look at other RX 570s, should they also work? Is there something about the graphics cards chosen in that last that are cherry picked from 570s?

I do flip over into windows and game, the 1050 is fine for me for that.

So what's the best bang for the buck right now?

General advice welcome,

Thanks!

Every single card on the buyer's guide is out of stock in Amazon/Newegg.

I have a 1050 and things are - well, weird in Mojave with the built-in drivers (I know not to expect nvidia to come out with new drivers). I'm shopping for a new card.

The video card market is quite insane right now - it's hard to get anything.

My question - if the buyer's guide has some options, say RX 570 for example, and I go to newegg and look at other RX 570s, should they also work? Is there something about the graphics cards chosen in that last that are cherry picked from 570s?

I do flip over into windows and game, the 1050 is fine for me for that.

So what's the best bang for the buck right now?

General advice welcome,

Thanks!
The GTX 1050 is not supported on MacOS Mojave and later due to lack of Nvidia drivers. There is no graphics acceleration so "weird" behaviour is to be expected.

RX 570 from other brands should also work. The reason the Sapphire Pulse (for example) is recommended is because it has been tested by Apple in external Thunderbolt GPU enclosures so we know it will work.

The video card market at your locality is that bad? Here locally I can still get a Sapphire Pulse RX 570 4GB for an equivalent price of US$120 and a 8GB card for an equivalent price of US$150. RX 580 8GB is also available for an equivalent price of US$180.

I was under the impression that the video card market was sold out nearly everywhere.

Thanks for answering the question about if "RX 570" should work in the various brands. RX 570 was just a random selection from the list - I don't know much about AMD cards in general, let alone any hackintosh reasons for selecting amongst those options.

Can you tell me, what's a good bang for the buck with 10.14+ compatible cards right now? If nvidia were an option it might be a 3060 (but you really can't get those at SRP anyway - like I said, the industry is a bit weird right now).

I was under the impression that the video card market was sold out nearly everywhere.

Thanks for answering the question about if "RX 570" should work in the various brands. RX 570 was just a random selection from the list - I don't know much about AMD cards in general, let alone any hackintosh reasons for selecting amongst those options.

Can you tell me, what's a good bang for the buck with 10.14+ compatible cards right now? If nvidia were an option it might be a 3060 (but you really can't get those at SRP anyway - like I said, the industry is a bit weird right now).
No option of middle to high is a good choice now as the prices have been skyrocketing. For new compatible GPUs RX 570 and RX 580 are good choice. If you don’t mind used ones, many GCN models can be considered under much cheaper prices.

I have been holding upgrading or even building from scratch ENTIRELY due to the graphics card situation. I have been scrounging around for some time now for a used Radeon VII... but the prices just keep soaring into the ridiculous.

So my question follows yours for the most part, except that I need 3 DP ports and need reasonably high end performance due to some of the editing I do...

So what is the best high end single card option available right now that is going to play nice with Mohave in a world where Apple and Nvidea can't get along.

...relegating my dual 1080ti's to the dust bin just because of a pissing contest with Apple is going to be painful... but it is what it is, and I really don't want to cave and go back to Windows.

I need 3 DP ports and need reasonably high end performance due to some of the editing I do...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ6FMF8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This is overpriced by about 280 dollars but if you have to have one now, you might have to pay the price. The newer 5000 series AMD cards will only work with Catalina or Big Sur and not Mojave.

One of these 780's will work too. Price is $200 for new/open box. They have native support through Big Sur. Not sure after that. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Nvidi...PCI-Express-Graphics-Card-WVH99/303640981287?

For the 780 you'd have to adapt one HDMI and one DVI Output to DP. Adapters are very inexpensive.

Here's an EVGA GTX 780 with a better cooling system but it costs a lot more than the open box card.

Last edited:
The newer 5000 series AMD cards will only work with Catalina or Big Sur and not Mojave.
Good info, thanks!

I feel like a wait and see approach is continuing down some pretty dark roads.

The GTX 1050 is not supported on MacOS Mojave and later due to lack of Nvidia drivers. There is no graphics acceleration so "weird" behaviour is to be expected.

RX 570 from other brands should also work. The reason the Sapphire Pulse (for example) is recommended is because it has been tested by Apple in external Thunderbolt GPU enclosures so we know it will work.

The video card market at your locality is that bad? Here locally I can still get a Sapphire Pulse RX 570 4GB for an equivalent price of US$120 and a 8GB card for an equivalent price of US$150. RX 580 8GB is also available for an equivalent price of US$180.
i'm in the same situation, nvidia user stuck at high sierra trying to find a good amd for video editing...
@Jamesbond007 do you care to share some links for a good rx 570-90 or 5500-5700 (in europe)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back