Contribute
Register

Video Card Smoke - Power Supply or Video Card defect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z77X UD5H (F14)
CPU
CORE I7 3770K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, dont know what subforum to put this on or even if I should even post this on Tonymacx86, but I love the community so yea.

Well, I was building my new hackintosh (second hack) and when I went to boot it up, I heard a pop, saw a light, and the EVGA GTX 670 released smoked.

I have tested the system without the graphics card and it posts properly.

Now my question is: Is the Video Card faulty or is it my Power Supply? (Corsair HX650)

I have another system to possibly test with, I just don't want to ruin any other components.

Any help is appreciated.

Full list of specs:

Intel 3770k

EVGA GTX 670 reference card

16gb Corsair vengeance.

Corsair HX650

Corsair 500r case.

Was card properly seated? If the GTX 670 smoked, not much sense in putting it in another machine. RMA it.

Yup, have made sure multiple times. Ok will do. So you don't think it was the Power Supply?

If the machine is up and running fine there's no reason to believe there's PS problem.

Yup, have made sure multiple times. Ok will do. So you don't think it was the Power Supply?
It would have to have been wrongly connected (e.g. +12V and GND mixed up), which should not be possible. If the computer works without the graphics card now, the PSU is most likely ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back