Core i7-3970X
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4Gb
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a decent graphics card that might be compatible with both Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion?

I recently went through the painful process of doing a clean install of ML on my system. I could not get Migration Assistant to properly transfer many of my apps and some of my biggies like FCP 7 won't even install on ML now. So I have made the decision to try and setup a dual boot system so that I can use my older apps as needed on my SL drive.

But the problem is that my HD 6870 is not compatible with ML and I recently bought a GTX 660 but that is not compatible with SL.

Any suggestions? I am looking to spend 200 or less and would like a 2Gb card if possible.

Thank you.

I had a HD5670 (1GB) that fully worked in both systems.
Unfortunately, It may not be fast enough for what you want to do.

I now am using an EVGA 650TI (1GB, there is a 2GB model), it fully works in ML
but in snow leopard, It boots and runs OK, but I do not have graphic acceleration, DVD, etc.....
which kinda hurts......

Hope someone else has a faster card they can recommend for you......

Edit: I thought some people have the 6870 working in ML

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...mountain-lion-6xxx-gpu-issues-fix-inside.html

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I was unable to get 6870 working in ML, but it seems to work in Lion. I have been trying to setup a dual boot so that I don't lose any of my legacy stuff in SL.

It has been difficult to get my system updated and I really don't want to go through the hassle of re-installing everything from scratch. Not to mention a few of my apps wouldn't even install in ML.

Quite honestly I would be happy just to be able to get a fully optimized 2GB video card working in SL at this point.

I had a HD5670 (1GB) that fully worked in both systems.
Unfortunately, It may not be fast enough for what you want to do.

I now am using an EVGA 650TI (1GB, there is a 2GB model), it fully works in ML
but in snow leopard, It boots and runs OK, but I do not have graphic acceleration, DVD, etc.....
which kinda hurts......

Hope someone else has a faster card they can recommend for you......

Edit: I thought some people have the 6870 working in ML

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...mountain-lion-6xxx-gpu-issues-fix-inside.html

What settings did you use to get your 650TI to work in Snow Leopard? My 9800GT died and I had to replace it, so I got an ASUS 650TI ( 1 GB model ) and installed it assuming that it would work in Mountain Lion but I would no longer have access to my Snow Leopard partition. If I could get it to boot into Snow Leopard as well that would be great.

I might try to reflow the 9800GT

i have ATI Radeon 6950 2Gb Gigabyte! ..fix?? help please..!!

Tipo: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Anchura de canal PCIe: x16
VRAM (total): 5 MB
Fabricante: ATI (0x1002)
ID del dispositivo: 0x6719
ID de la revisión: 0x0000
Información de la extensión del kernel: Ninguna extensión de kernel (kext) cargada
Pantallas:
Pantalla:
Resolución: 1400 x 1050
Profundidad de píxel: Color de 32 bits (ARGB8888)
Pantalla principal: Sí
Duplicado: Desactivado
En línea: Sí

and

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>

What settings did you use to get your 650TI to work in Snow Leopard? My 9800GT died and I had to replace it, so I got an ASUS 650TI ( 1 GB model ) and installed it assuming that it would work in Mountain Lion but I would no longer have access to my Snow Leopard partition. If I could get it to boot into Snow Leopard as well that would be great.

I might try to reflow the 9800GT

I actually did nothing for SL,
I installed ML on a second partition of my OS X hard drive (Win 7 is on another hard drive)
with a HD5670, after changing to the 650TI, I only changed my graphic settings in my boot.plist for ML
*My original SL partition is still considered the main partition for my system

For SL, I kept my DSDT and even the same graphic settings used for the replaced HD5670
I was surprised it booted, but it does not have GPU acceleration,
Appleworks 6 and Carbon Copy Cloner seem to work fine,
Really do not use it much - I have used it only 10 hours or so........I may tinker with it more in the future............

I've never had Snow Leopard, but I have a 6870 1Gb that works perfectly in Mountain Lion (and it worked in Lion too). I just had to do that replacement of the ATI kext during install of ML.

I reflowed the 9800GT today and now it works fine, no more artifacts. I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back