Contribute
Register

Video card blew up-getting free replacement. Which?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
CPU
I7-870
Graphics
HD 5870
So, my Galaxy 9800 low power card died under warranty. They don't make it anymore so I'm being offered a replacement-they're starting @ the GTS450 SuperOC
http://www.galaxytechus.com/usa/productview.aspx?id=135
But they seem pretty flexible. For a hack, what do you all think I should go for? IIRC the 4xx series had freezing problems? I could probably negotiate a 5xx @ a similar level w/o much trouble. Doubt I can get a 590 :D
Thx for any suggestions. I'm using a 5870 in my main hack and a gts250 in my kids machine.
Best,
Mike

drmyk said:
So, my Galaxy 9800 low power card died under warranty. They don't make it anymore so I'm being offered a replacement-they're starting @ the GTS450 SuperOC
http://www.galaxytechus.com/usa/productview.aspx?id=135
But they seem pretty flexible. For a hack, what do you all think I should go for? IIRC the 4xx series had freezing problems? I could probably negotiate a 5xx @ a similar level w/o much trouble. Doubt I can get a 590 :D
Thx for any suggestions. I'm using a 5870 in my main hack and a gts250 in my kids machine.
Best,
Mike
I would stay away from 460 and 450 - freezing, very nasty. If you have a choice - try to negotiate for 470 or 5xx series. I just got Galaxy GTX 470 (70XKH3HS8GUX) reference board from newegg.com, probably last batch and last chance to get a new one at the price of used one. I hope it will work for me. My 285 is working great, only tiny minus - no H.264 hardware acceleration.

drmyk said:
Leaning towards the 550 I think, then. Seems comparable in price/performance to the 450 w/o the driver issues. Do you still need to edit files to use the 5xx series or is that automatic with the new chimera etc?
It is easier with MB4.1, but I believe you still need to edit AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to add your card to whatever profile you use MacPro?,1 or iMac12,2.

i was looking at the 550Ti but for out of box to work does it have to be nvida or can i use a pny?

bdevaux said:
i was looking at the 550Ti but for out of box to work does it have to be nvida or can i use a pny?

To my knowledge, it has to be nVidia, but i may be incorrect on that. Search the forums a bit, and see if anyone else has gotten one from PNY working, OOB. If not, it would take very little to get it working, such as just adding the ID to a kext.

~~Grave

Thanks ll spend the extra couple of bucks for nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back