Contribute
Register

Viable Replacement for Intel 8260d2w WiFi Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have an HP Spectre 13 v100 with an Intel 8260d2w WiFi card installed. A quick google search shows me that Intel WiFi isn't supported at all and only one person has made any effort to create a driver to support it, but he's gone silent. However, upon further inspection, I noticed that the card isn't any form factor I'm familiar with. Here is a picture:

osnnLpY.jpg

This card appears to be a "solder on" option from Intel that HP took, created a daughter board for, and connected with a ribbon cable. My question is, is this form factor familiar to anyone? Is there an adapter I could potentially buy for the BCM94352Z that I already bought? Am I just SOL here?

Hmm, interesting. The issue for me is slightly different however. It seems that your Xiaomi Notebook Air 12.5 actually has a second M.2 slot whereas my HP Spectre 13 does not. Instead, HP created a proprietary daughter board to connect the chip. Not only is it not possible to find an adapter, but it would be incredibly difficult to create one as I am in no way, shape, or form an electrical engineer nor does HP provide any specs for the board

For the Spectre, it seems there are only two ways to get WiFi working. One way as mentioned above is to recreate the daughter board, find a compatible "solder on" Broadcom chip, attach it, and install it in the same way the Intel chip was installed. This is far beyond anything I'm capable of doing. The second is using USB WiFi dongles. That option also isn't the most viable one as it is quite unattractive to look at since the Spectre only has USB Type C ports so I have to use adapters that stick out and just flop around. Furthermore, it is quite finicky and doesn't always work since the Spectre only has 1 USB port and 2 Thunderbolt ports, that latter of which macOS does not recognize and works only about 80% of the time.

The second option I've detailed a bit on ****** if any fellow Spectre 13 owners would like to take a shot at getting a full hackintosh set up.

Unfortunately, in taking off the cover the first time, I slightly chipped it and am not too comfortable taking it apart again until I can get some proper tools. I did, however, find the chip on AliExpress and can assure you that it is the very same one used in the Spectre. Curiously enough, the AliExpress entry says it's not for HP laptops. Not sure why that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back