CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
WX5100
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,
Recently I upgraded my VGA to AMD Radeon PRO WX 5100 on macOS Ventura 13.1
I remove every previous VGA boot arg, so now I don`t have any boot vga args. I remove every vga id injection.
So the card works OOB, I have full DRM and VGA decoding compatibility without any hacks or injects, only Lilu and Whatever green latest kexts with OpenCore 0.8.7.
Do I need to use any boot args ot anything else to "tweak" this VGA, the only performance drop (may be) that I see is in Geekbench 5, where I score 25-26 000 points but in Windows 10, the score is about 28 000 ... I dont think so that this is something fatal but what do you think, do I need to do something (kind of tweaks) or leave it as is OOB without any hacks.
My SMBIOS is iMacPRO 1.1
Regards and Happy new 2023!

Not helping you but I installed a WX5100 at first in my Dell XPS 8930 Big Sur and experienced a couple of intermittent reboots: the card failed when analyzing my Photos Library right after the update and also doing the GPU bench test in GeekBench 4.

Fortunately, I had a cheap Dell RX460 and it’s almost the same performance.

The AMD generic driver in MacOS is not as well optimized. As an example, mine was idling at around 40 Celcius degrees in Windows but…55-60 in MacOS.

Maybe I’ll try to modify the BIOS (warning, risky) and see if I can lower the temps under Big Sur.

I don`t have any issues on Ventura. Temperatures are about 35-40 degrees celsius on idle. I was simply amazed how this card run on Ventura without any "hacks", just install it on the PCIE slot and power on the PC.
I was just asking if there any optimizations to reach Windows 28k geekbench score. Sleep is working OOB, DRM is working OOB, VDA Decoding is working OOB..

I don`t have any issues on Ventura. Temperatures are about 35-40 degrees celsius on idle. I was simply amazed how this card run on Ventura without any "hacks", just install it on the PCIE slot and power on the PC.
I was just asking if there any optimizations to reach Windows 28k geekbench score. Sleep is working OOB, DRM is working OOB, VDA Decoding is working OOB..
Weird that mine runs so hot! However, I have a little format Dell XPS 8930 and it gets quite warm inside. On the other side, it runs cooler in Windows…

The only difference you can make is switching to the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS. That might be a better SMBIOS for this card, and help you find the missing 3K in Geekbench.

I assume as you are running Ventura and using the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS that you have disabled the HD4600 IGPU. Either in the bios or with the -wegnoigpu boot argument.

The reason the WX 5100 card works without the need for any Hack's, is because Apple enabled the use of this and other AMD Workstation cards (WX 7100 & WX 9100) in the real MacPro7,1 when it was first released. The addition of these workstation cards is what allows us to use some of the RX400 and RX500 series GPU's in our Hack's.

It is the same reason for some of the RX 6000 cards working in our Hack's. Apple enabled the use of some WX6000 series Workstation cards in the MacPro7,1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back