Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Very slow but successful boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
CPU
Intel Core i7 i7-4790K CPU (Quad Core 4GHz, Socket H3 LGA-1150)
Graphics
Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB
I updated to High Sierra 10.13.6 from Sierra a while ago but have been having slow startup issues. The screen shows errors over the motherboard logo during boot (see attachment). Apart from the fact it takes maybe 5 minutes to boot it seems to work really well. Can someone with a lot more experience than me offer any guidance on what the messages during the boot process are indicating please?

I have 3 drives:
"HighSierra" - 1TB SSD [APFS format] with MacOS High Sierra on it
"Disk2" - 4TB HDD [MacOS Extended format] for documents and stuff
"disk1s2" - 500GB SSD [Windows NT format] with Windows 10 that I try to hide (with some partitions it also created) in clover using some commands that I forget but looked up on the forum here - perhaps I messed up here!

Attachments

• HighSierraStartupIssue.jpg
    HighSierraStartupIssue.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 77
Can someone with a lot more experience than me offer any guidance on what the messages during the boot process are indicating please?
It is just normal output produced by apfs.efi.
If you don't want to see it simply replace apfs.efi with ApfsDriverLoader.efi.

Hi P1LGRIM, thanks for you reply. If this isn't tell me anything, is there anything I can do to diagnose the speed of the booting process?

is there anything I can do to diagnose the speed of the booting process?
Check that Debug is not enabled in your config.plist.
That is the most common cause of slow booting.

Bingo! Thanks so much P1LGRIM, it rocketed through this time! VERY much appreciated!

Hello, I'm on high sierra too. Like MrZZy, the boot is successful but takes 5 minutes till I can use my computer.
The debug option was not enabled on clother at boot. So I have no idea from where it comes.

I can't find the config.plist. I already saw on a previous topic that it's at Volume/EFI/EFI etc... but I have not all these things. I have only the file EFI-Backups.then r0000

I remember that I had not this slow boot process when I run High Sierra for the months. This slow came when I wanted to add a fan CPU cooler. (I was using zalman fx100 fanless cpu cooler) After the try, the computer took 5 min to boot. Since I removed the fan cpu cooler, I have still the same long wait.

Do you see what I can do to have a faster boot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back