3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hiya,

I have built 2 hacks and both of them work well individually. Both of them are GA-X58A-UDR3 rev2

Lets call them Hack A (BIOS FF) and Hack B (BIOS FF), both running Lion in 64bits

Hack A connects to the router using ethernet cable, gets DHCP ip address from the router.

Hack B connects to a homeplug at one end. Another homeplug then connects to the router, and Hack B gets DHCP ip address.

When Hack A is switched on, Hack B won't get a IP address to connect to the internet.
When Hack A is off, Hack B gets an ip address and connects to the internet.

I use mac filtering on the router and have entered mac addresses for both of them.

I'm at my wits end as I can't figure it out.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

HW

What happens when both Hacks are connected via Ethernet wire. Both directly to router.

Hi,

I Hack B is two floors away from the router, that's why I plug it through a home plug

HW

Can you move it and try? It could be the home plug you use.

I really don't understand why it won't work, when the other Hack is not switched on, it works

hw007 said:
When Hack A is switched on, Hack B won't get a IP address to connect to the internet.
When Hack A is off, Hack B gets an ip address and connects to the internet.

I use mac filtering on the router and have entered mac addresses for both of them.
Looks like your configuration is incorrect. Either you have a conflict in ip addresses or a conflict in mac addresses? Why do you use mac filtering on the router? Are you sure that the filter rules are setup correctly?

Mieze

Hi,

I actually don't know why I was using mac filtering (MF)! In any case I have now switched it off, and low and behold, it now works with both Hacks being on.

I actually never thought of turning mac filtering (MF) off.

I feel so stupid.

Thanks for actually mentioning why I use MF?

HW

hw007 said:
Hi,

I actually don't know why I was using mac filtering (MF)! In any case I have now switched it off, and low and behold, it now works with both Hacks being on.

I actually never thought of turning mac filtering (MF) off.

I feel so stupid.

Thanks for actually mentioning why I use MF?

HW
No problem! I just asked because MF doesn't have any security advantages in comparison with ip filtering as changing a MAC address is nearly as simple as changing an ip address if you know how to do it.

Mieze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back