Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

I've got a very smoothly running Sierra build that I am trying very very hard not to mess up. Thing is, it's all running on 2012 hardware; even if it's still plenty for my needs, I'm starting to see the need for some extra speed especially for larger files.

So in comes RAID0: I have a few spare SSDs and the idea, in theory anyway, seems interesting. But I am a complete noob with RAID, aside from the spoon-fed, hardware RAID I have in my NAS! So my questions are as such:
- Is RAID support reliable on Sierra/SSDs?
- Can I migrate my single SSD setup to RAID without too much hassle? I don't mind doing some cloning and whatnot but I really would like to avoid going through a reinstallation process... Very honestly, I don't remember all the tweaking I did on this system and I remember the audio being an absolute b!tch to get going...

Any help and info will be greatly appreciated! I have done a few searches on the topic in here but only came up with either very old posts or how-to's starting from fresh installation, so please pardon my question if it's been posted already as I may have missed it.

Why do you want to do RAID 0? If one SSD dies, you lose everything. I can't imagine you are going to gain a ton of performance if that is your reason for going to RAID 0.

Anyone..?
I would not imagine you'd see any benefit in real world use. APFS, already optimised for flash storage, should support containers on multiple drives at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back